Huntsman Program

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Huntsman Program
By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

Good afternoon,
Because this board seems much more informative, positive, and knowledgeable, I decided to post here. I REALLLLY insanely want to get in to the Huntsman Program at Penn. What I am looking for is advice - you can look at my stats and ECs on this site: http://www.prstats.com/2009/display.php?user=leomarkel -. If you have any general advice about college admissions or specific advice about admissions into Penn, the Huntsman Program, or even stuff that applies to me (as in what possibly looks weak from my stats), please share.
Thank you for your time!

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

You have the grades. You certainly have the ECs and the test scores. You just need to express yourself properly in your essays. Penn, like Northwestern and Chicago, places a lot of importance on essays. Make sure you are effective (not too flowery or verbose, and not to eager) in your writing, and you stand a good chance.

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

thank you - i dont think my class rank is good enough, but the rising trend should help....yea i will work hard on my essays...plus ive met with some admissions officers and the huntsman academic director....also, i am making a website for the huntsman program as part of my application to penn (e-mail me if youd like to see it - its pretty cool!)...any more advice?

By Achat (Achat) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:13 pm: Edit

I think Huntsman requires knowledge of a foreign language. You say you are Ukrainian. Do you know to converse in Ukrainian, or Russian or any other foreign language? Check it out. It may be a requirement and a tipping point. Also how about language courses at school?

By Achat (Achat) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:15 pm: Edit

Ahh I see you moved to Ukraine and speak Russian.

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:31 pm: Edit

i am fluent in russian (my reading and writing are on a middle school level probably)....i know i meet all the general requirements for the program....in school, i took french as my foreign language; however, it was my worst grade in 9th and 10th grade....honestly, i think i am fairly good at french (or at least not as bad as my grade indicates), but our french teacher was absolutely atrocious (and hated me - partially my fault), so almost all the kids in my class did poorly....hopefully i will do well on penns own russian exam (for admission) and this result will thereby offset my not-so-good grades in a foreign language in school (although russian is probably my native language, so i dont even know if the poor grades in french would count against me)

By Cfunkexonian (Cfunkexonian) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

wow... your extracurriculars are absolutely phenomonal, especially with all the awards you've won for Model UN. Besides your grades (which are still decent and on an upward trend, which is fine), you seem like the model applicant to the huntsman program. Last year two students from phillips exeter were accepted, and neither had the EC's that you do. Good luck. I think you'll definitely get in (though my advice isn't worth much)

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

thank you.....is there anything i can do now though (i will be working during the school year at commerce bank, if that helps at all)?

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 11:15 pm: Edit

cfunk - do you know shmit desai (he got kicked out of exeter last year)?

By Achat (Achat) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 08:30 am: Edit

Dostoevsky, I'd advise you to do well in foreign language in school, i.e get good grades. Russian is your native language, so it might be slightly discounted...I don't know, though. But a friend of my son is doing Huntsman this year and she said foreign language grades are very important. You business experience is also impressive.

By Achat (Achat) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 08:42 am: Edit

Never mind what I said. You have to choose a target language and take the SAT II on it.

http://www.upenn.edu/huntsman/questions/index.html

By Cfunkexonian (Cfunkexonian) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:46 am: Edit

Dostoyevsky,
Yeah I do. I didn't know him well, but he was in my Club Squash and I played him a few times (got owned too). I don't know enough about the discipline case to comment on it, but it's always a bit depressing when someone is kicked out of Exeter (especially senior year). How do you know him?

By Idler (Idler) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:21 am: Edit

Dostoyevsky: Penn is a school that gives very significant advantage to those who apply ED. They pretty much invented it, and take about half their classes from the ED pool.

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:52 am: Edit

cfunk - after shamit was kicked out (for attendance reasons or something), he came to my school (because his parents live in my town)

idler - i will undoubtedly apply ED

achat - because there is no russian SAT II, penn will send a test to my school that I will have to take (since i moved here when i was 4 and a half, its not like i KNOW russian naturally, i had to learn it - although i do speak it at home)

By Achat (Achat) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Dostoevsky, good luck! Let us know in 6 months how it goes (or is it less than 6? More like 4?).

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

thank you! i will definitely let you know how i fare

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

any more advice though?

By Achat (Achat) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Work on the Huntsman essay. Very important. Actually working on it now will give you a leg up. Show it to someone who is good at writing.

By Chinaman (Chinaman) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Does any one think that it is harder to get into huntsman as compare to Wharton?

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

it's much much harder to get into hunstman compared to wharton. Wharton takes about 600 of 4000 (15%) while the huntsman program on takes 40 out of 562(those were last years applicants) - so 7.1% acceptance rate which would make it even harder to get into huntsman than harvard, yale, etc.

By Chinaman (Chinaman) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Bern Thanks a lot for info. From my kids ultra select prep school some kids have got into huntsman but opted out to go Harvard. But I am still sure that my kid liked wharton a lot. Let us see. I know two kids who are in wharton, their parents are telling me that Huntsman is not that great over wharton. But I doubt the parents.

By Chinaman (Chinaman) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 02:33 pm: Edit

bern are going to attend this fall Huntsman or Wharton?

By Kingkonglives (Kingkonglives) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

how much harder is it to get into huntsman/jerome fischer program without ED? (i'm afraid of getting screwed over in financial aid)

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

I applied to Huntsman and got rejected but I was accepted at Wharton. Well the huntsman program, in my opinion, is really good because you graduate in four years with TWO degrees (a B.S. in Economics from Wharton with a concentration in whatever you want, and a B.A. in International Studies from the college). If you are looking to go into the business world, especially highly selective investment banks, wharton will help a lot and huntsman will help even more. I'm currently interning at UBS and I saw a list of the recently hired people firm-wide and Wharton was at the top of that list with the most recruits. It had more recruits than all the other ivy league schools combined.

Wharton and Huntsman are for people who are really set on business. That is why many opt to go to other schools, such as Harvard, because they're not sure if they want to study business. Also note that if you don't get into huntsman you can do a dual-degree anyway but it will be a little harder. I personally and doing a dual degree (B.S. in Economics with Finance concentration, and a B.A. in International Relations).

By Kingkonglives (Kingkonglives) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

how many languages did you know?

can anyone answer my question above?

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 04:44 pm: Edit

Well about your question...from what I've heard they take about half ED and half RD, but I don't know if there are more applicants for the programs during ED or RD.

I know 3 languages: Spanish (native), English, and French.

Just a recommendation, my regional rep told me that this since last year they began to cap the number of students whose target language is spanish or mandarin because they don't want to have too many people doing one language. So if you know one of the above mentioned and another language, I'd suggest using your other language as your target language.

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

if you goto the hunstman website; they say that applying ED gives you an edge, but i believe that a LOT of people cant apply early due to testing issues...hence, i dont think its THAT bad if you apply regular....it shouldnt hurt you...its just that ED helps....for a program like Huntsman, its more than just desire (which would be signified by ED) to be in the program - you need EVERYTHING...its crazy

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page