Question to all Parents:

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Question to all Parents:
By Link12 (Link12) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Will you quit CollegeConfidential once your kids are done with the college process? I hope not! Parents on CC are probably the most asset here.

By Dstark (Dstark) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 02:19 pm: Edit

Is there a forum for parents of college graduates looking for a job?

By Over30 (Over30) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

Or grad school?

By Optimizerdad (Optimizerdad) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

Who's looking? The parents, or the recent graduates?

(This one started out as a quip, but it may strike a raw nerve out there. I should know, my own company has gone through multiple waves of layoffs.)

By Dstark (Dstark) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Optimizerdad, I'm open.

By Optimizerdad (Optimizerdad) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 02:35 pm: Edit

Since we have our own closely-knit community of parents on CC, maybe we should start up our own Jobs Available/Wanted thread. Only CC_parents need apply - the idea being that if you can survive putting a teenager through HS and the college application process, you can survive *anything* .

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Optimizerdad, don't knock it, it is a great idea. Networking! And this is quite the group! And though you made me chuckle that if you can get through the college admissions process you can do most anything, it really feels true. Plus the parents on this forum seem very intelligent, hard working, caring folks!

As far as the OP question...well, my kid is done the college admissions process and I am still here. Though, I admit that my second child's process overlapped the first one's and so I am still immersed in this as she is applying this fall. But, I think even if the second one was not involved before the first was done, I would still be here. For one thing, I really hope those of us who had kids just graduate high school, stay longer on here so we can share or hear how they are doing now that they are freshmen in college. Afterall, I feel I got to know a lot of these families since junior year and I wanna hear the follow up. Besides all that, I love the group so do not think I will leave after this one is done. We will all jsut be at a different stage of the whole kid process!

Susan

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 03:24 pm: Edit

It's been over a year since my youngest daughter started college; the older one will graduate college this spring.

I continue posting to CC---reasonable testimony to my lack of getting a life.

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:01 pm: Edit

What happened to the clubroom that TheDad set up a while ago? Has the furniture been repossessed?

By Fredo (Fredo) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

Well, I'm another member of the done-with-the-process-but-still-here club. I really want to see how some of these kids do this year - and whether this whole process of finding the right school actually works!

My son (HS soph) is a few years away but knowing his anal-retentive, research loving mom (that'd be me!)I'm sure I'll never leave...

By Over30 (Over30) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

I still have a HS sophomore so I'm not going anywhere for a while. Even now, with not much going on in their lives that would require my presence here, I can't seem to leave. I do enjoy hearing about all of your children.

By Dg5052 (Dg5052) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Fredo, I have you beat by one year--my S is a rising college soph, and my D is a high school freshman--2 totally different kids, so I'm perusing totally different kinds of schools.

As for that anal-retentive researching thing--I'm with you! Fortunately my D has no idea--she would be mortified.

By Mini (Mini) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

I might have to stick around, especially as while I could be very helpful with my nerdy-creative older d., I am now entering new and unexplored territory with a serious Div. I athlete, about which I know almost nothing (except being half-educated on NCAA high school requirements.) (She thinks anyone who would go to an Ivy League or prestige LAC in the northeast is, frankly, sick.)

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

Yes, I will go as with everything, there is a time to move on and try new things. Nowhere is this more apparent than as with raising children.(After 15 years in the elementary school as volunteer and helper, I was truly ready to move on!)Furthermore, when you become 'the old parent'all the signs are there. It is great to be a resource, however there comes a point when a resource becomes a know-it-all.
MINI; What sport Div.1?

By Mini (Mini) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Gymnastics. Finished 8th nationally in one event as a first-year Level 9, at age 13. Her trajectory might be huge (then again, it might not be.)

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

I like this crowd so will stay on for a while. And the newcomers seem to keep the ball rolling and add interesting perspectives as some of the oldtimes are posting less.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

Have one more to go. She's a freshman in HS this year.

By Sac (Sac) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

I loved hearing from the parents like Elleneast about the experiences students had freshman year. So, though I plan to lurk more than post, I thought a thread in the Fall on word back from the trenches, with advice and descriptions based on what we hear back from our kids, might be helpful.

By Cruella (Cruella) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 01:01 am: Edit

I'm staying, at least for a while. It's been fun and maybe we oldies can be useful to the next batch of college hopefuls.

By Robyrm (Robyrm) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 01:06 am: Edit

After this son it is 8 years until the next child will be applying. I'll have to find another hobby between now and then...Will there still be a CC then? Can you imagine what it will be like for her to apply- I predict a single clearinghouse approach such as is used for matching medical students with internships- or at least I hope!!

By Valpal (Valpal) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 01:15 am: Edit

My DS is a rising freshman. I'll be around for a good long time. Plus, this board is full of some of the most intelligent, knowledgable, thought-provoking, and interesting people you'll ever meet. Better than Salon.com (which is no longer free, by the way)!

By Sybbie719 (Sybbie719) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:42 am: Edit

Just because we are sending them off doesn't mean that there are not still questions that need to be asked.

I am with Val, you are an intersting bunch of folks. The conversations run the gamut, and you have contributed so much to my looking at life using multiple lenses.

By Concerneddad (Concerneddad) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:50 am: Edit

I'm not going anywhere

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:56 am: Edit

My kids, if I ever have any, won't be going to college anytime soon. So I should be around for the next 25 or so years!

By Sokkermom (Sokkermom) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:06 am: Edit

Even though my son leaves for college this weekend, my excuse for continuing to lurk around can be his younger sister. She will be entering grade seven. This really does become addicting. It is sometimes a good diversion from life's other stresses! (our non-virtual life)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page