Regional vs. truly "national" colleges

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Regional vs. truly "national" colleges
By Kiddielit (Kiddielit) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 01:49 pm: Edit

We often have great threads here exposing people to lesser-known schools. It's so refreshing to see students expand their choices and options and consider schools other than their state U and the "usual suspects." I have to wonder, though, about the experiences a student might have going across the country to a school where many of the other students all come from the same region. It's so great to read about public LACs like St. Mary's, Truman State, or Keene State -- but how many kids come from out-of-state? I know that colleges publish their in-state/out-of-state numbers, but here's the thing -- how many of the "out-of-state" kids all come from the same suburbs of a neighboring state's city, for example, or from the same tri-state area?
Any thoughts?

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

If you do a little digging around their websites, you can get a complete geographic breakdown (always by region, often by state) for a college's incoming freshman class.

Even the "national" colleges are still heavily skewed towards their local region.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Kiddielit, I think this is an excellent question. It's one I've thought about quite a bit since my daughter started thinking about schools on the other side of the country, some of which have a heavy regional concentration. I sometimes have visions of her being stereotyped as the "wild Californian" at some of these schools. I also have visions of her having culture shock when she's faced with a bunch of cheery midwestern kids in Indiana or Ohio or Minnesota. But then again, that's part of the appeal for her - going somewhere new and experiencing a "different culture." Kind of a study abroad program...LOL!

My daughter doesn't seem terribly concerned about this - when I mention it, she always points out that she is the ONLY student at her urban high school from our small rural town. She's certainly the only one that has a backyard full of goats, chickens, a horse, and a pig. She actually enjoys being "different" for the most part and I think she likes the idea of being one of only a few kids from Calif. at some of the schools on her list.

One thing I am concerned about is her going far away to a school where most kids are driving distance from home - it would be awful to be the only kid left on campus on three-day weekends. So, the number one question she asks about every college is "how many kids go home on the weekends?"

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 03:42 am: Edit

Carolyn, when we moved for a few years to the E. Coast, one of my CA kids felt she found her true home. That's where her people were! We're back in CA but she's headed back E. for HS, wouldn't even apply in CA.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page