Quick interview attire question...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Quick interview attire question...
By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

OK so I have an interview at 9:30 AM tomorrow at Connecticut College, and then after I have a tour and info session. I know that its all in the wrong order but they were pretty much booked so I did my research on the school....

ANYWAYS...I dont know what to wear because I want to look nice for the interview but I don't want to be "all dressed up" for the tour and info session. Can I wear shorts and a polo? Sandals?

AHH!

I was thinking long pants and a dress shirt...but...I'm just not sure!

Let me know ASAP

By Robyrm (Robyrm) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

"The nicest version of you"...is what I read last year, and seems most reasonable. My sons always wore long pants (khakis or decent jeans) and a shirt with a collar of some sort...I think any dressier is unnecessary, unless it would be more comfortable for you. I personally think shorts are a bit too casual, but we certainly saw kids dressed that way.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

but its gonna be hot.......lol

By Robyrm (Robyrm) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Then it is good you scheduled the interview first, before you drag around on the tour! Again, like I said, we did see kids dressed in shorts! Wait for some other opinions before you iron anything...

By Mini (Mini) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Rule of thumb: always dress one step higher than the environment you are entering (but never two). If the environment says shorts or bluejeans, wear khakis. If the environment says polo shirts, wear a collared shirt. If the environment is all khakis and ironed collared shirts, wear a tie. If the environment is all ties, wear a sport jacket. If the environment is all sport jackets and ties, wear a suit.You can stop at tuxedos.

Basically, the idea of going one step higher is a sign of respect. Two steps higher, and you're a twit or a show-off.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 11:13 pm: Edit

No shorts - wear nice khaki pants or similiar and a polo shirt instead. You'll still be cool on the tour but look presentable for the interview.

By Momrath (Momrath) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

I vote for khaki long pants and either a shirt or polo. No sandals. If you want to you will have time to change into shorts and sandals after the interview and info session and before the tour. The admissions office waiting rooms all have restrooms.

By Jenniferpa (Jenniferpa) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:58 am: Edit

I'll weigh in here because we actually went to Conn College last summer. I think you'll find that the adcoms are in khaki's, buttoned down shirts, and some in ties (think preppy). The students on the tour were on the whole were "neat but not gaudy". My daughter wore a skirt and shirt. I think khakies and a shirt or polo would be fine, but I think a tie would be overkill for the environment. Although some might disagree I would think sandals would be fine (the admission person we saw was wearing docksiders, with no socks.)

By Simba (Simba) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 09:07 am: Edit

Mini' rule of thumb is great...After posing similar question and advise from parents. S wore Khaki and a polo and dress shoes (sneakers would have been fine too). The admissions officer also wore casual clothes. A tie and a jacket would have been awkward. They wanted to talk to parents too - and I was in shorts !!. Now I see the advantage of Mini's rule. Even if you are underdressed by a notch - no big deal.

By Cangel (Cangel) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 09:58 am: Edit

Mini's rule is great - truly useful in all social situations.
If it's the hottest day of the summer (I know its too late for you now,) take along Mom with a big purse and a stash of shorts - dive into the bathroom and change post interview if possible. Sandals yes, shorts no.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:13 am: Edit

From an HR point of view, and I know he isn't interviewing for a job, but clean cut is probably more important than well dressed.
A good, clean haircut, well shaved face, good breath and clean finger nails are most important.

As far as attire, I always believe that a person is putting her/his best foot forward in an interview. So I would say no to sandals, shorts, messy jeans or t-shirts. Everything else goes.

Finally, attitude and general comportment are also very important. A good and firm handshake, good eye-contact (starting from the handshake onwards) and no fidgeting. Also, if at all possible, avoid the words "emmm" and "like"! LOL Smiling is always a plus, as long as it is called for and not excessive.

Most important of all, look comfortable and confident. This is a getting to know you session, so just be yourself and put your best foot forward.

That's it from me. Good luck!

By Fredo (Fredo) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:16 am: Edit

I know it's too late for ilcapo but my daughter did exactly what Cangel said: she dressed nice for the interviews and then just changed afterwards in the restroom to more comfortable walking around clothes and shoes. Parking is almost always available right near the admissions office (especially in the summer) so the car is readily available to stash that extra change of clothes.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 04:46 pm: Edit

So...I wore nice khaki pants and a button down shirt with nice shoes.

I was overdressed than the other kids, but on the whole, I wasn't uncomfortable and I didn't feel like an idiot.

JOB WELL DONE PARENTS :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page