Parents' visions-update

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Parents' visions-update
By Wolfpiper (Wolfpiper) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Hi,
I have an update regarding outside PE, schedules, and parents. Basically, outside PE is 5 hrs. per week, which'll take up a huge chunk of time but might allow me to take another AP class (weak schedule). If I don't do outside PE, I can continue aikidou and horseback riding, both of which I really like. My mom's very worried about the school denying credit for outside PE (I must admit I could see that happening), and she considers my schedule "very hard." But look at it:

(Schedule)
First semster
Honors Japanese IV
AP English
PreAP Chem (hardest I can take, but I plan to double up on science courses next year)
Aerobics/Psychology

Second semester
APUSH
Japanese V Honors
AP Art History
Algebra 2 (I am a pretty good algebra student, so I will most likely move into Honors)

What do you think I should do? I've love to stay with aikidou and riding, but my schedule needs as much help as it can get:(.

My mom really thinks the fact that I've had to overcome a lot of stuff with my disability will help, and she won't believe they don't care about that. I think part of their general resistance is that my brother and I are such different students. He' BRILLANT when it comes to computers and electronics and is a really sweet kid, but he is much more low key and laid back than I am about school, chosing to go to a small instate school. They don't really know about the ultra competive admissions climate because my brother never wanted to go an ultra competive school.

Oh, I've suggested Gatekeepers and A is for Admissions to my parents. I'm hoping they'll read them. Thanks for the suggestions!

By Marite (Marite) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Wolfpiper:

Your schedule seems fine to me. You will be carrying 3 APs and Japanese V, which ordinarily would be another AP. That seems to me plenty. If you were going into math/sciences, the course levels would be on the weak side; but since you're not, they, too, are just fine.

As for the aikido and the horseback riding, do factor in commuting time and see how much you can fit into your schedule. But it's great you can keep up with physical exercise you really love.

I'm going to sound like your mother and tell you to relax. I have no doubt you will be very competitive for selective colleges.

By Fireflyscout (Fireflyscout) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 07:45 pm: Edit

It looks like you're taking a rigorous schedule - lots of AP and Honors classes. And remember this is your junior year and you'll be taking the PSAT in October and also the SAT/new SAT. Why can't the aikido and horseback riding count as outside PE?

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

aikido and riding don't usually count as pe unless you compete regularly.
For example my daughter who is on a soccer team ( and last year was on two at the same time, can have her coach sign for her practices and games every week. Waiver needs to be submitted the same semester you want credit.
It helps to have waivers as she would be participating anyway but it opens up her schedule.
School teams are usually easier to get waivers for.
My daughter who rode was not able to get PE credit even at a private school. However the school did offer after school pe class ( weight lifting) and she was on a team senior year.

By Wolfpiper (Wolfpiper) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Well...

It looks like I'll be able to do Aikido for outside PE credit (yay!), but I'm just waiting for them to throw up another wall and take it away. My poor mom, this whole debacle has been quite hard on her. I have to give her props for all her hard work and determination :).

On the bright side, I'll be able to continue Aikidou and take AP Psych instead of PE under this plan.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page