Boston Globe: Havard gives edge to local applicants

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Boston Globe: Havard gives edge to local applicants
By Alan5 (Alan5) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 09:12 am: Edit

I posted this on the College Search in Selection Board:

Harvard and other schools give an edge to local applicants:

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2004/08/08/a_neighborly_bump/

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/education/articles/2004/08/08/a_local_address_can_help/

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 09:18 am: Edit

It has never been a secret, and it makes good sense. I have heard the Harvard head of admissions even say in public that Harvard has an outreach to local students, particularly from Cambridge public schools.

IMO it is normal for colleges to have a special outreach to the local community, something that is simply a reflection of sensitivity to the community that houses it.

By Marite (Marite) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:41 am: Edit

Northstarmom is right. Harvard has been open about its policy. I personally know several Cambridge residents who are currently or will be at Harvard. All have stellar qualifications, a sine qua non of admission. The two current students I know are doing very well.

By Massdad (Massdad) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:42 am: Edit

The same is true of Yale for kids in south central CT. Actually, the article was rather funny in some ways. It said UVA gives preference to local kids. If local means from Virginia, ....

By Perry (Perry) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 11:37 am: Edit

UVA is also a public university which is obligated to take the majority of its kids in-state.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 12:02 pm: Edit

When Harvard wants to build a new building or acquire more land in Cambridge, the first question that the community will ask is what's in it for us--you're a 501(c) (3) non-profit institution that does not pay any taxes. Harvard's answer is: we will give your children an edge in admission and offer scholarship money. This is a nice quid pro quo.

Harvard recently acquired over 100 acres of land on the other side of the river in Allston. Harvard's president, Lawrence Summers, recently announced that the school plans to build a new $1 billion campus on the land. You can bet that the City of Boston will want something in return, likely in the form of scholarships and an edge in admissions for local applicants. Lets all move to Boston or Cambridge.

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

>> You can bet that the City of Boston will want something in return, likely in the form of scholarships and an edge in admissions for local applicants.

Ha. That's the least of the "payoffs" required to build something in the City of Boston. Ask Robert Kraft about trying to build a privately-financed football stadium in the City of Boston.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Good point, but Southie is a special case. People in that part of Boston buy and sell public parking spaces or reserve them for themselves with lawn chairs, garbage cans, and other items-LOL! Read this:

http://64.226.34.179/Editorial%2012%2025.htm

By Momsdream (Momsdream) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

I have recently been told that Penn also tries very hard to recruit from with the city limits of Philadelphia...in order to foster greater contributions to the city.

By Nyc33 (Nyc33) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

Does anyone know if Columbia or Barnard have quota's on the number of applicants they accept from NY?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page