Carolyn please help!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Carolyn please help!
By Tosh (Tosh) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 12:01 pm: Edit

Hi,
I know it's not the subject of the forum, but alexandre told me i'll found you there ;-)
I was just wondering if you could help me for scolarships and stuff like this for an international student (i'm french).
Maybe you'll need more informations about me, like my family's income, so if you want i can send you an email.
Hope you can help me ;-)

thanks

By Tosh (Tosh) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

Well, i didn't say much in my post.

My first question is, do you know schools that have great scholarships for international students? I'd like to major in english or journalism.

Alexandre gave me a list of universities that could give me great scholarships, could you comment this list?

Smith College
Mount Holyoke
Brandeis University
Harvard
Middleburry college
Princeton
Reed college
Williams college
Yale

And on this list, do they give any scholarships for international?
Berkeley
Ann Arbor
Virginia
Brown
Columbia
Cornell
Grinnell
Harverford
Indiana University
Johns Hopkins
NYU
Northwestern
Syracuse
University of Missouri at Columbia
University of North Carolina at Chapell Hill
University of Winsconsin at Madison

I don't know if they have a look at the family's income but we just have $18 000/yer, my father is deceased.

Thanks!

By Frenchie (Frenchie) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

I live in Paris!!!! Where abouts are you?

By Tosh (Tosh) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

I'm about 40 minutes from Paris, i live in Normandie exactly (pas loin d'Evreux, dans l'eure.)
I'd like talking to you
if you have MSN, here's mine NTosh27@hotmail.com
if not, verneyre.nastasia@wanadoo.fr

:-)

By Marite (Marite) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:09 pm: Edit

Tosh:

Brandeis has a terrific scholarship for international students only called Wien. You have to apply from abroad. There is stiff competition for it though. Other colleges give some financial aid to international students but do not have a scholarship specficially designated for them. By and large, though, international students are at a disadvantage financially in most US colleges.

By Tosh (Tosh) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

I won't be able to apply from abroad because i'll be in the US...

By Achat (Achat) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

In the LACs, you could include Swarthmore too. It gives aid to international students and has a lot of them.

By Achat (Achat) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

LAC = Liberal Arts Colleges like Williams and Smith.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

Tosh, what are you interested in studying? No sense giving you a list of schools if they won't offer what you are interested in studying.

Also, could you provide some information about your statistics - grades, SAT scores, TOEFL score...financial aid for international students can be very competitive at some schools requiring top statistics...give me some idea of where you stand so I can target my suggestions better.

By Tosh (Tosh) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 05:27 am: Edit

I'm interested in journalism (in an other post, i said that i'd like both print and broadcast journalism, but now i think that i'd just prefer print journalism) and in english.

I don't have my statistics yet.
I have to register for the SAT in october and i don't have my TOEFL yet. So, can't help more...

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Tosh,
Without knowing your statistics - at least your grades - it's hard to predict your chances at getting financial aid and/or merit scholarships at any of the schools on your list. But this should give you some idea of your chances:

Smith - has a limited number of merit-based scholarships for international students worth $4,000 a year. They do have some need-based financial aid but it is VERY limited and may not cover full costs.

Mt. Holyoke - Has a reputation for providing decent financial aid packages to international students.

Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Brown, Columbia, Cornell - all of these schools are extremely competitive for international students (as well as for US students) - they are need blind in admissions as well and do promise to meet the need of admitted students. However, unless you have absolute TOP stats and extracurriculars, getting admitted to these schools is very difficult for anyone.

UC Berkeley - very limited merit money available for international students. Almost no financial aid available for international students and should be even tougher in the next few years due to Calif. budget crisis. Since the cost of attending UC Berkeley as an international student is quite high ($26,000 plus), really you'd be better served sticking to private schools. The same is true with the other public schools on your list. The U of Michigan does provide some financial aid for internationals, check on their web site for the details. You will probably not get a full scholarship there however.
Of the public schools you have listed, UCB and UNC-Chapel Hill are extremely competitive for non-residents - need stellar stats to get in.

Northwestern does not provide financial aid for international students. Syracuse does not provide financial aid for international students but does have a few merit scholarships available. NYU is notoriously bad at providing financial aid and merit scholarships - check to see if they even offer financial aid for internationals.

Grinnell does offer financial aid for internationals and can be generous if they feel you are a good fit.

Johns Hopkins is not need blind in admissions - they consider your financial need as part of the admissions decision. In any case, they offer limited money to internationals.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 03:50 pm: Edit

By the way, wanted to add a few school names for you to research - most of these have at least a minor in journalism and offer some financial aid or merit scholarships for international students.
Admissions is somewhat less selective than the schools on your original list which means your chances of getting accepted and receiving financial help improve.

Lawrence University (Wisc) - offers one full scholarship to international students plus several partial scholarships. Has a relatively large international student body for a smaller school. Good overall academics.

Macalester College (Minn) - offers financial aid, merit scholarships, and some loans to international students. Large population of internationals.

St. Olaf (Minn) - is eager to attract international students and has some merit scholarship money available to do so.

Earlham (Indiana) - offers merit scholarships to selected international students with 1300 and above SATs.

Trinity University (Texas) - has a very good communications program, located in San Antonio, an attractive city. Has merit money available for internationals, low cost to begin with, very generous with aid.

The College of Wooster (Ohio) - offers financial aid and merit scholarships to internationals.

By Tosh (Tosh) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 04:47 pm: Edit

Thanks!

I don't have any statistics yet, but i think this year, i'll take AP math, AP chemistry, AP biology, AP french, AP german and AP history.
I should have great grades in math, biology and chemistry because i was in a scientific class in France and the math, chemistry and biology courses were pretty difficult. And as a french citizen, AP french should be more than easy for me ;-). I've lived 2 years in germany, and i'm bilingual in german so it should be easy for me too. I'll see in history.

That's all i can say for instance. But i'll take french and german for my SAT II.

I've noted all the universities of your list, and i'll consider them.
I've talked a lot with Alexandre, and this year, i'll just concentrate on my TOEFL, APs and high school diploma (and of course, improve my english...)
I'll focus on universities admissions next year so that they can see my statistics (and not only my french grades).
I hope this make a sence, my english is not that good for instance.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

Tosh,
You make perfect sense. Just wanted to correct one thing that may have been misleading in my original statement - it's not that financial aid isn't available to internationals at US public schools - it's just that when publics do provide aid, it's usually in very small amounts for internationals. For example, Indiana U does offer some grants to internationals but they are typically no more than a few thousand dollars - not nearly enough to cover the full cost of attendance.

In general, internationals do best in terms of large financial aid and merit packages at private universities and colleges - the ivy's are among the most generous BUT also the most competitive to get into. Plan on having SATs AT LEAST in the high 1400's and comparable SAT II tests just to be considered.

Unfortunately, "full rides" or even "big rides" for internationals are very, very limited at most U.S. schools. In order to be granted a visa to study at any US school you will need to show proof that you have enough funds to cover all costs.

However, since you're starting early, you can get a head start on researching what's available. I urge you to take your list of possible schools and go to each schools web site - enter the search term International student financial aid and you will be able to get an idea of what each school has available. I'd also suggest you email the international admissions counselors at various schools to specifically ask what type of requirements there are for financial aid and merit scholarships and, most importantly, the percentage of international students who receive these awards and the AVERAGE amount offered. A $5000 financial aid grant from a school that costs $45,000 won't go far.

Also, please look at what's available in French schools - often there is more funding available for graduate level studies than undergrad. You might decide it's best to study in France for undergrad and then try the US for grad school. Good luck.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Also, since you're looking at Smith and Mt. Holyoke, I'm assuming you're a female. If so, you might take a look at what type of aid is available for internationals at other all-female schools such as Mills, Scripps, Agnes Scott, Hood and Hollins.

For the top schools, remember you will need to take SAT II tests as well as the SAT I. In general, top schools prefer to see that you take the SAT II language test in a language other than your native language. High TOEFL scores will also boost your chances.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

One other thing - you mentioned that you will be applying from the US. If you have permanent resident status you will have more options when it comes to financial aid. If you are just here on a student Visa, however, you will still be considered an international student, no matter where your application is sent from.

By Tosh (Tosh) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 11:54 am: Edit

Well, i'll apply from France because i've just decided to stay one year in France before applying to universities (as i said it in my previous post.)
I've noted everything, i have a very huge list of universities (thanks!) but now i have, at least one year to consider all of these and to prepare for the application.

It's really a nice forum here, i don't think i could be that advanced in my research without this forum, and of course, without people such as you and alexandre. So thanks a lot!
;-)

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Tosh, I'm glad to hear that you're going to give yourself an extra year. I was worried when you said elsewhere that you were planning on applying for Fall 2005. Doesn't give you much time to take the SATs and SAT II's. However, if you're planning to apply for Fall 2006 you might want to rethink your test taking strategy and take the SAT II's this October because there will be a new version of the SAT I for Fall 2006 admissions candidate. The first date for the new test will be next March (2005). While some schools will still accept the old SAT, many more will require the new SAT. You might want to read up on the differences between the new and old tests at the college board site.

By Tosh (Tosh) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 01:38 pm: Edit

I think i'll take my SAT I and II in France (in june or july 2005 maybe).
Or maybe i'll take my SAT I and II one time in the US (may 2005 would be a great deal), and take it another time in France if my scores are not that good.
Is this ok?
And i have an other question. If my first scores are not really good and I take my SAT a second time, if my results are worse than the first time, what will happen for the admission? Can i choose which one i want to show them? Or will they see them both?

wow, dunno if what i said make a sence :-(

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Relax Nastasia. Most universities will only consider your highest score. So if you get a 1350 the first time and a 1330 the second time, they will look at your first test, even if you send them both results.

Some univerisites, like the University of Pennsylvania (I think), will take your highest math and your highest verbal and combine the two. For example, if you get a 760 in the math and a 540 in the verbal the first time you take the test and you get a 720 in the math and a 610 in the verbal the second time you take the test, the University of Pennsylvania (and some other schools), will take your 760 math score and your 610 verbal score.

By Tosh (Tosh) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:25 pm: Edit

lol i'm not stressed ;-)
thanks!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

ALexandre's right - nearly every school in the U.S. will take your highest scores for each section of the test even if those high scores are from different test sittings. It's one of the nice things colleges do for applicants, thank goodness.

Since it sounds like you'll be taking the new SAT, you should read up on it - it will no longer be just verbal and math - it will now include a writing portion. The verbal section will also drop the analogies and be more of a reading comprehension test. THe math will include more advanced math (Advance algebra).If you have strong English skills (and it certainly sounds that way doesn't it Alexandre?), you'll be fine. Good luck - I'll be looking forward to following your progress over the next two years!!

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 02:32 am: Edit

Nastasia, I agree with Carolyn, your English is good and will get much better. You have never studied in English, nor ever lived in an English speaking country. It think given those facts, your English is remarkable and I am confident that you will improve a great deal after an entire year in the States, studying in English and interacting with American students.

Like Carolyn, I too am looking forward to following your progress over the next two years and am more than happy to help you in any way I can. And don't forget, this is a great place to come to have your questioned answered.

By Tosh (Tosh) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:08 am: Edit

Well, i don't know if my english is really fine. But what i know is thatI don't have any problems to understand what you're saying. I can look a film in english, i will understand it. But I have more difficulties for writing in english. I'll improve this during my year in Edmonds CC.

You'll the this first inform (well, my mom first lol) if i'll be admitted to Harvard or Columia lol :-)
I'm kidding... whatever happens, i'll inform you ;-)

By Ledyana (Ledyana) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

Carolyn.. i think i need to apply to 1 safety school that provides great financial aid for international (the cost (tuition, room, etc) after getting the financial aid should be around 15000).. with a 1170 sat and 3.9 W (3.2 UW - I take IB courses so my w gpa is much higher) thank you..

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

Ledyana - Take a look at the College of Wooster in Ohio - they do offer need-based financial aid to internationals and their average award is about $14,000 of the total $32,000 cost so it would be in your range. They are an excellent liberal arts college with about 140 international students.

http://admissions.wooster.edu/admissions/international/default.php

By Ledyana (Ledyana) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 09:34 am: Edit

thx alot carolyn! what is my chance to get into wooster and receive the financial aid with that stats? do u have more colleges to recommend? (i heard beloit is also need-based for international student?) thx!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page