I'm totally clueless in what path to take in college

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: I'm totally clueless in what path to take in college
By Gracious95 (Gracious95) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:46 am: Edit

My ultimate goal in life is to be comfortable financially, and to be able to be happy, without having to worry about money. I'm not trying to be super-rich or anything, since I was never materialistic. I'm going to American University in a couple of weeks.

That being said, I've seriously thought about being in upper management and possibly investing in real estate. But, I'm not sure how to get started- what to major in. I know that doing business undergrad is discouraged and that I should do liberal arts, but can you get a job or a good internship with a liberal arts degree? Plus, that would also be hard for me to convince my parents that it's a good route, neither one of them went to college or even know anything about it. When told them I was thinking about psychology, they basically flipped out and made me lie to people about what I'm majoring in (which I don't even know).

I was thinking about getting a business MBA? How do you make grad school affordable after undergrad?

So, if anyone has any insight, please share. I'm pretty much confused now.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 09:24 am: Edit

It's not uncommon ot start out in college majoring in liberal arts.In fact, it's very common for folks to do liberal arts for a year or two and see where their talents lie.You sound a little tenative and what I would do is inform yourself about different careers.Your state department of education may have booklets about careers and their payscales or you may be able to find them in your h.s. guidance office. Have you actually worked in a business? There are so many different aspects to business so it would be a good idea to inform yourself.Look over courses requirements in college catalogs for different majors and look into universities with good co- op programs to give you more experience and earn money too. That's what I would do and inform your parents more.Take these catalogs to your parents and say,' look I would have to take this, that, and the other to major in such and such, and and they have internships senior year.'Psych. is good if you want to be a social worker or psychologist, but is helpful to have more advanced degrees.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 09:34 am: Edit

Just to add in case you are unfamiliar, co op colleges extend your graduation but you spend large parts of the year actually employed in businesses.Drexel has such a program, also Northeastern but there are many more.If you are still in h.s. go to your guidance counselor and ask for info about more or do your own research on the computer.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 09:41 am: Edit

I'm so sorry ! I missed the part about American U. in a few weeks! Well, that is TERRIFIC! American U. is a fabulous place to research different government jobs and I bet they have great co op programs with the government ! Sorry again!

By Cheers (Cheers) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:36 am: Edit

American has one of the BEST placement offices in the country! Whatever your major--and business is fine if you're interested--they can help you find a cool job in Washington DC.

They also have a great junior year abroad program. Check it out too.

Hopefully, you'll get a cool advisor who will help you sort out some of your career/major/parental anxiety issues. I'm sure the issues will sort themselves out and you'll wonder what you worried about.

Have fun!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page