S - College Interview

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: S - College Interview
By Simba (Simba) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

S had his interview yesterday. He wore business casual - polo and beige pant. Before the start of the interview, he gave his one page resume to the interviewer.

The interviewer was very nice -a young lady from the admissions office not much older than S. She made my S at very ease. He had been apprehensive about that day for the past couple of weeks. Gone to several of the web site to 'prepare' for the interview. He also had a mock interview with his counselors.

They talked for about 40 mins, and he told us afterward that the stuff they talked about were just general. It was not an 'interview'. It was a conversation. They talked about Starwars, computer games and the band. During the talk if there was something interesting, she would say that be sure to mention that in your app.

None of the hard questions like - why you want to come here, what can you contribute etc etc.

Lessons Learned: This is not a job interview. The colleges don't want to scare kids away. The interviewers they pick are also 'people' person. Who know how to make kids relax. They just want to 'know' you.

By Robyrm (Robyrm) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

My boys have done about 25 interviews between them over the last 2 years. Both like to talk with adults(among others) and both usually have something interesting to say- so neither was particularly "worried" in advance. Some of the interviews were more "evaluative" than others- the boys were asked to defend course selections, describe how competitive their school is, for example. In most cases, as your son experienced, the interviews took the form of "casual summer conversation". In one case my son even became the interviewer's wedding consultant (we live near the exotic locale she wanted to use!).

In one of the guide books it talks about whether the interviews are evaluative or informational- this is worth knowing but in reality, once the kids get the hang of talking about themselves in an honest, somewhat humble way- it seems to go fine.

By Valreezee (Valreezee) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

D had an off-campus interview with a recent Rice grad. Things were mostly low-key; she had a one-page resume with her and the interviewer suggested that she include that with her application. The only highly stressful moment came when the interviewer asked something like, "What one compelling reason should I give the admission committee to admit you?" D stuttered and stumbled over this one, but still got in. I don't think it's really likely that any other given student will get this question in hin/her interview, but you might as well have an answer ready!

By Dmd77 (Dmd77) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

"What one compelling reason should I give the admission committee to admit you?"

My D was asked this question in two of three college interviews. The third interview was a student-to-student interview and there the question was "what unique knowledge will you bring with you?"

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page