Credit card under parents' account?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Credit card under parents' account?
By City_Girl (City_Girl) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:50 am: Edit

hi parents,

i was wondering if you all could help me.. (also posted on "college life")

i want to get a credit card for the main purpose of building up credit and using it for small purchases (like groceries and such). can i get my own credit card under my parents' account and still build my own credit? (i have a job so i'll be paying for everything on my own) or should i sign up for one solely under my name?

By Drusba (Drusba) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 09:09 am: Edit

Having the additional card for you under your parents account does not do much to build your own credit rating. Having your own account that you pay for is better for that purpose. Nevertheless, at your stage it should not be a major concern. If you come out college and have employment, it is not going to be hard to get credit regardless of whether you previously had your own credit card account.

By Kaci (Kaci) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 09:11 am: Edit

I agree with the above, and actualy think there is more risk of impacting your credit negatively by getting credit cards in college. My 21 year old has first-hand experience with that...

By Patient (Patient) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:18 am: Edit

Kaci, do you mean by not paying the bill, paying it late, or just having the card?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page