Get a GED vs summer classes

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Get a GED vs summer classes
By Bookworm (Bookworm) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Hi,
I am "Bookworm"'s son. My school told me I could complete courses over the summer to receive my diploma but I would rather just take a GED exam. Is there any reason why I should favor getting a diploma from my school rather than a GED given that I will have a college diploma?
Thanks for your help.

By Marite (Marite) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 06:12 am: Edit

Hi, Bookworm's son. I'd say, take the GED. Once you have your college degree, no one will care whether you have a regular hs diploma or a GED. Enjoy your summer.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 09:11 am: Edit

I think that you should do some research before you just jump into deciding to get your GED. Are there any colleges that you are interested in that don't accept GED students?

I'm not against the GED (I have one and I've done pretty well myself) but it isn't a decision to be made lightly. I've had a few problems with my GED and if I'd had the choice I would have obtained my hs diploma instead. How many courses would you have to take over the summer, and which courses?

By Bookworm (Bookworm) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

He needs one semester Eng course, the second semester class he can take at college (he was already admitted). Unfortunately, the online course takes 18 weeks, he can't go at his own pace.
What problems did the GED pose for you? Did it keep you from receiving NMS, for example?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page