Appliance puzzle

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Appliance puzzle
By Benjamin (Benjamin) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

After buying all of my electronic stuff, I noticed a small stipulation on microwaves...it has to be 600 watts or less. Have any of you ever seen a microwave less than 600 watts? Do they exist? And I've only seen one or two that were actually 600 watts. As compact as my little microwave is, it is 800 watts. What if I just brought it anyway? Would that be a serious problem? Would I be on the bad list before school even starts? WHAT SHOULD I DO? Please help me...

By Massdad (Massdad) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

Schools don't want a brown out (or worse) when everyone starts warming up water for coffee first thing in the morning, hence the power limit.

What would I do? I would send an email to the school and ask them! I suspect you will get dispensation. If not, you can buy a 600 watt machine for under $50.

BTW, have you coordinated such things with your roommate to be?

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

my daughters school doesn't even let them have microwaves in their room. What would you be using it for?
Often dorms have full kitchens to make stuff, you can get a small hot pot/kettle to make tea or heat up soup if you don't want to go to the kitchen, but I imagine dorms have lots of fire risks anyway, and to add the risk of heating up a nice casserole in a gold edged pan or what one former student at Reed did in the kitchens microwave which was try and make crack @@, I can see why colleges want to restrict what is in the rooms.
(I have fire on the brain- a federal team that worked on Oklahoma city is in town investigating arsons that have been set just blocks from me- 12 over the weekend)

By Benjamin (Benjamin) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:44 pm: Edit

Actually, I won't have a roommate, I'm in a single....but thanks for your comments even though they were somewhat rude.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

which comment was rude? I don't see asking questions for more information as rude, after all you came looking for help right?
I could have been much more specific I suppose and instead of asking what are you going to use your microwave for, said Microwave are used for many different things, I can see that if you wanted to heat up frozen dinners you would need a microowave, but if what you wanted was to heat liquids there are many other alternatives that take up less space. If you wanted to cook in your room there are alternatives to that tooo, but as Massdad pointed out, there are ways to bring a microwave and fulfil the dorm requirements.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Sears has a handful of microwaves which are 700 watts.

AND, here is a microwave at Walmart for 600 watts of power:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2618732&cat=90762&type=1&dept=4044&path=0%3A4044%3A4064%3A90546%3A90425%3A90762

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page