New poster who HAD to check this site!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: New poster who HAD to check this site!
By Xdad (Xdad) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

Hello!

Despite being the first day of reading this board, I heard a lot of your names in the past. My oldest child had been bugging me to take a look at this site and I finally let him registering me. Since he picked Xdad as name, you should have no problems in identifying me as Xiggi's Dad. I've read a few of his posts, and I've to admit that it sounded eerily similar to our dining table conversations, which often end up being spirited debates. I am afraid that he must have tested your patience!

I look forward to find out more about this great site.

By Mini (Mini) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:36 pm: Edit

Xiggi is great - he has a wonderful head on his shoulders, and a very bright future. He is mature way beyond his years, and you are hearing this from a dad whose personal politics (which I don't interject too much) are well to the left of Bernie Sanders (he's the one from Vermont).

You should be very proud.

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:36 pm: Edit

Well, I can see where Xiggi gets his good looks from... :-P

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

Xiggi is a fine young man who the parents on here admire. He is well spoken, polite, and very intelligent beyond his years.

Mini, funny you mention Bernie Sanders. That is who my daughter lined up to speak at her graduation. She asked him personally and he said yes. He gave a great speech. She introduced him. He stayed for the entire graduation.

Susan

By Marite (Marite) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:59 pm: Edit

Xdad:

I'm waiting for Xiggi to start a company to invest in it! You've read it here. That will probably the extent of my foray into entrepreneurship, but I think it will be such a sure thing!

PS: I'd love to hear the dinnertime conversations!

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

Hello to Xiggi's dad! I hope that you are proud of your son - he is someone that many of us on this site would greatly enjoy meeting.

By Mini (Mini) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:40 pm: Edit

P.S. You should know that Xiggi paid us all to write nice things about him -- he figured it was a shrewd investment.)

By Marite (Marite) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Yeah:

I can hear the Xiggi stump speech. "And I met this family on the CC board who could not pay for private SAT tutoring; and another family whose child had taken the SAT twice and was still stumped by analogies; and yet another family whose child was terrified by the new SAT. And to all of them, I say: HOPE IS ON THE WAY! (or do I mean, 'Help is on the Way'?) click on www.xiggi.com"

By Kissy (Kissy) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Congrats to you, Xdad, on raising a fine young man. His presence on CC has been a blessing to many. He's helped so many on SAT related matters that his time spent on this board could probably qualify as a volunteering EC :>) Perhaps you can keep us posted on his college successes, as I'm sure there will be many.

By Patient (Patient) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Xiggi is great! You should be one very proud dad!

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Xiggi would already has a following in how to study for the PSAT/SAT. All he has to do is bundle his cc posts and get a publisher!

Also a "Thoughts of Xiggi" would make great reading.

Congratulations on raising such a fine young man!!

By 2dsdad (2dsdad) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

"Also a "Thoughts of Xiggi" would make great reading."

How about the "The Sayings of Chairman (and CEO) Xiggi"?

By Kluge (Kluge) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Congratulations on raising a fine son, who knows how to argue his position while remaining fair, balanced, and intellectually honest. I know many of us have marked our calendars with a black "X" for the day when Xiggi has announced he will leave the CC boards...

By Mahras (Mahras) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:56 pm: Edit

Hi Xiggi's dad!! Welcome to the forums.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Xdad, don't believe half of what Xiggi has told you about me. I look forward to meeting him in the flesh when he gets out here to SoCal.

By Simba (Simba) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Yes Xiggi is allright (actually better than allright when he is not bashing Clinton or Gore or any other democrates on this earth).

By Lamom (Lamom) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

Xiggi's leaving??? Oh no, maybe I will run into him in So CA. Will cheer for CMC, except when they play Redlands.

By Clipper (Clipper) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

I too adore your son! He and I have the same political thoughts only HE can explain them far better than I can.
Good luck to him and I hope you keep us posted on his progress.

By Optimizerdad (Optimizerdad) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:14 pm: Edit

Um... don't know if anyone told you this, but there are at least two CC posters who've announced marital intentions towards Xiggi. They sounded serious, too.

(...they both were female. I *think* :-)

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Xiggi wrote about how his father was very wise and thoughtful. As you know, nothing impresses another father quite so much.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

How did Xiggi get you on here, now if I could only get my kids to follow. Another nod for your having raised a great kid. Congratulations!!

By Xdad (Xdad) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

Thank you for your nice and heart warming comments. I was a bit surprised but you made this father really proud.

I have poked around the site and this community is simply amazing. There are plenty of truly remarkable kids and great parents. I am sure I'll find plenty of support to deal with the separation anxiety that is starting to sink it. It will be hard to let go!

By Marite (Marite) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 03:32 pm: Edit

Ah, I got it. It was all Xiggi's ploy to show his dad that there are some people out there who take him seriously.

Seriously, I hope Xiggi continues to be a presence at CC. He provides just the right amount of practical help and confidence-building tips. And he can debate others to a standstill. CMC will not know what hit it when he arrives!

By Sybbie719 (Sybbie719) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 03:32 pm: Edit

Hey Xdad,

Xiggi, is really great- you must be so proud, Are you now starting to loggin on as a way to relieve us of the separation anxiety that will sink in once Xiggi goes off to his new friends and leaves us behind?

By Mom2003 (Mom2003) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

How do you manage to live with a kid who seems to know so much about so many things? Isn't it annoying? Are you sure he is only 18?

By Marite (Marite) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

Actually, I think we're collectively putting together Xiggi's birthday present. If I'm not mistaken, he is still 17.

By Xdad (Xdad) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

We started wondering about that as soon as he learned to talk. He has been negotiating with us ever since, especially with his mother.

Yes, he'll be eighteen in a bit less than two weeks.

By Valpal (Valpal) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 04:57 am: Edit

Gee, I never considered the thought that there could be a CC without Ziggi (SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!)

Xdad, there are not enough superlatives to express the admiration I have for your wonderful son. He gives me hope for the future. I hope he runs for president!

By Marite (Marite) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 07:09 am: Edit

If Xiggi runs for president, I, too, will be happy to vote for him, though I may long in the tooth by then. I can trust Xiggi to have really thought through the issues, even when his conclusions are opposed to mine.

But I hope that Xiggi stays in the realm of education. There is an awful to be done, and it can even be done profitably. For better or worse, we have opted for more and more standardized testing. We can do better than what we are now doing, whether it is the SATs, APs or state tests. Xiggi's involvement would be bound to make a real difference.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 07:20 am: Edit

I don't know guys, I kind of agree with Xdad, Xiggy keeps bugging me too. The kid is always busting my chops! LOL

Seriously Xdad, Xiggy is a fine addition to this forum. It is too bad there aren't any more student/parent combos posting here.

By Concerneddad (Concerneddad) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:04 am: Edit

I echo all the nice things said about your son.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:34 am: Edit

Xiggi and Xdad, I am serious about you putting together a book. Would even help you out. Think about it.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 01:49 pm: Edit

Wow - everyone has been really generous! I appreciate all the nice comments. I had a long lunch with my dad yesterday and he mentioned the post. I'll use it to negotiate a better allowance package!

Oh Alexandre, I can blame my father for the "busting your chops" syndrome. He has been repeating "Qui bene amat, bene castigat" for as long as I can remember. Rest assured that my comments were never malicious and that most of them were in jest.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

Jamimom~

As far as a book, were we to reduce all the CC discussions in a polished compendium named "The best of College Confidential", it would be a bestseller for the genre.

There are so many great contributors to this site who would deserve several chapters. Actually they are so many that I would be afraid to try to list them. I DO believe that such a book will come to fruition in the future.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 06:25 pm: Edit

It is perfectly alright Xiggy. I find your writing to be very even handed and perceptive. Like I said, it is students like you that make this forum worth visiting. Best of luck to you and of course, I look foward to reading more from you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page