Help! - ways of expressing ranking.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Help! - ways of expressing ranking.
By Thereishope (Thereishope) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Hey parents,

I am making my college resume right now. However, i have a few questions about it and hope that you could answer them for me.

1, Is it better to write a rank as top 1% or 99th percentile?
2. How long should the explanation be for each contest, club, and activity?
3. If I had to calculate my own ranking, is there a way to make it official? I am afraid that if they do check and cannot find the ranking i put down, will that hurt? For example, i know i ranked 34th on a chemistry contest out of over 3500 ppl, so i put down top 1% or 99th percentile. Is there a way for them to verify that i am not lying?

By Simba (Simba) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

1. Top 1%

2. If a club is unsual, a brief description - not more than a line or two. However, if it is a run-of-the mill club like mu-alpha-theta or science olympiad no explanation is needed.

3. Top 1% out of 3,500...well yes if they are curious they can always ask you for more information and more documentation. In general (I think) it is your personal honor though.

Remember a resume should be used to demonstrate high points of your career - not a life story.

Some may prefer to do it by grades, but I personally think it makes more sense to group them together.

For example:

Bird Watching Club (9-12), 10 hr/wk for 25 weeks.
President (12)
Treasurer (11)
Gold Medals - Master bird watcher (10,11,12)
Top 1% of bird watcher (out of 2,500) (9)

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Bird Watching Club

LMAO

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page