Has Anyone Used CC's College Counseling?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Has Anyone Used CC's College Counseling?
By Mom101 (Mom101) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 01:53 pm: Edit

A friend is looking for a college counselor in the San Francisco area. Is meeting face to face important or would CC do the same job? Any thoughts on good counseling apreciated.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

I'm impressed with the CC folks but I have Connections with them and though I did not use their formal services, I am scarcely unbiased. The informal feedback I received was golden, reassuring in some cases, cause for acid stomach in others, but in all cases seemed to prove accurate.

By Momrath (Momrath) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 07:47 pm: Edit

Being lazy, I'm just going to quote what I wrote in a previous thread:

I'm a member of the Dave Berry fanclub. We used his application evaluation package. (I forget what it's called.)It cost about $1000 and to us was worth it. I had read every book, asked zillions of questions and analyzed to the point of paralysis. My son's first choice was a highly selective college -- which for him was a statistical reach. He knew that ED was his best shot and that it had to be a good one.

Dave helped him focus and refine and gave him confidence that his approach was correct. He also gave him feedback on specific colleges. At our request all communication was done by e-mail. Dave's responses were prompt, thorough, knowledgable and upbeat. It was like having a counselor on call. One whom we could ask about Big Issues and small confusing details.

Packaging sounds callous and mercenary, but without doubt applicants to selective colleges need to SHINE! especially if their appeal is intangible, e.g., not scores or grades or awards but rather talent, character and experience.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page