Bit of a dilemma about career choice

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Bit of a dilemma about career choice
By Pinkearmufs (Pinkearmufs) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 01:04 pm: Edit

I told my parents that I would go to law school, and I still want to, but I'm wondering what if I complete undergrad with an english major and then feel like I don't want to go to lschool afterall. I'm not really sure what I'd do then, and I'm kind of concerned because even before college is beginning (and even before senior year has begun)I am not motivated to go to law school. What I really want to do is become a sitcom writer, but my parents said that was ridiculous when I even hinted that I wanted to do it, so I can't tell them that, after 4 years of undergrad, that I don't want to do law school, that I instead want to take a risk on something like sitcom writing that is purely based on luck and connections. The problem with asian parents is that they want job security above all else, which is actually very practical and I can understand why, but I would rather take a chance and do something I really like. So as you can see, lol I need ur advice!!

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 01:23 pm: Edit

Some people on other threads have talked about teaching their kids how to be happy poor. Would you be OK with being poor if you don't hit it big as a sitcom writer? How would you plan to support yourself or who would support you?

By Mini (Mini) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 02:26 pm: Edit

So, research as best you, make connections as best you can, find a place where you can make connections, get a night job stocking shelves at Costco (pays good, and includes health benefits), set yourself a timeframe, and go for it. You can always go to law school later. In fact, many of the top law schools today advise students to take a year or two off first.

Who knows? You might end in a career in copyright or entertainment law, or end up writing the next "Friends", or do something entirely and completely different (like being a regional manager for Costco! Do you speak an Asian langauge? there may be great demand.)

Who told them that a law degree guarantees job security? In my state, an entry level law job in the Attorney General's Office, paying under $40k, attracted more thean 250 applicants, most of them currently unemployed.

By Enjoyingthis (Enjoyingthis) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 02:41 pm: Edit

If you really want to be a writer, I say, go for it. My suggestion would be to broaden your target a bit, though. It doesn't have to be sit-coms or nothing, right? And, as Mini says, be prepared to work at other jobs while you're finding out if you're going to be published or land a writing job.

By Pinkearmufs (Pinkearmufs) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

ya, it doesn't necessarily have to be sitcoms. Only thing is, what do you think is the better to have? financial security or a job that makes you happy? where do people draw the line?

By Mini (Mini) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Gosh, why would a 21-year-old want to decide that now? (And even if he did, unless he is going to be a mortician, I don't know of any jobs these days that guarantee financial security.)

By Marite (Marite) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

pinkearmufs:

It is so much a personal matter, no one can advise you what is better. If you ever watch the movie A Chorus Line, you'll see the sacrifices that some individuals have been willing to make for a dream that might never materialize. Were they foolish to do so? How can we tell? But NYC restaurants are filled with waiters and waitresses hoping to break into showbiz.
You should ask yourself: how important is it to you to live in a decent apartment or a nice house? to be able to afford a car (I'm not talking Porsche or BMW here, just something on wheels)? to eat a nice restaurant once in a while? IF you are an anxious personality, not having a stable job and a stable income will drive your blood pressure sky high.

Still, at 17 or 18, we may not really know ourselves well enough to answer these questions. That's why we spend 4 years in college. Some of us still don't know what we want to be when we grow up even after college.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page