Your Opinions on JROTC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Your Opinions on JROTC
By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Hey, Parents of CC:

I'm not asking for your personal (political) opinion of JROTC, but rather what you think colleges view JROTC as. I've spent 4 years of my life in ROTC (all 4 years of HS), and now serve as not only the School Commander but also as the Commander of an Amalgated unit of 16 schools. This title is known as the "All-City Colonel." I've received numerous awards, but I want to know what you think adcoms think ;).

By Massdad (Massdad) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 06:58 pm: Edit

Well, it will certainly separate you from the rest of the applicants. Truth is, though, that most will not know what to make of it. (VMI excepted!) So you have the task of getting the message across.

I'd suggest doing the following:

- see if you can get an extra rec letter from the ROTC commander.

- talk, informally, to admissions reps that visit this fall, at college fairs, or whereever you can find them. Ask THEM how they view it, and how to paint it in the best possible light.

- Call the ROTC commander at some schools of interest and discuss it.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 01:47 am: Edit

ROTC Commander? You mean my instructors? Or the SROTC PMS (Professors of Military Science?)

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 12:49 pm: Edit

I'll just bump this.

By Massdad (Massdad) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

You should find out who the head SROTC PMS is. It has been many years since I was in ROTC, so I don't remember the structure other than the fact that someone is the ranking officer in each detachment.

BTW, you may not be getting a lot of responses here because there are not that many veterans on the boards. Be patient and bump if you need once every few days. Remember it is vacation season! If you bump too frequently, I suspect you may offend those of us giving advice!

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 01:44 pm: Edit

Massdad, I am incredibly indebted to and appreciative of the parents' efforts here at CollegeConfidential. Obviously, I trust the wise word of a parent over a student anytime.

I think that a Lieutenant Colonel heads off the ROTC Battalion. An active duty Lieutenant Colonel, that is.

By Marite (Marite) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Tlaktan:

I second Massdad's suggestion that you contact the head of the ROTC program at some colleges and ask for advice on how to present your JROTC record. They will be familiar with JROTC; they will have some idea of how many students came through JROTC in their respective college and can give you good pointers.

By Massdad (Massdad) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Tlaktan,

One of the most surprising things I've learned on CC (not to mention watching my own D) is the reluctance of student to ask the experts. By experts, I mean the decision makers and folks in authority - fin aid folks at colleges, admissions folks, advisors at a college, etc. People work in these jobs because they like helping students.

I guess the reluctance may come from the HS experience, where all to many teachers and staffers seem overwhelmed. In college, it is not like that at all.

So, please, for yourself, call some folks at colleges you are thinging about. Call admissions, and call the ROTC detachment. I can guarantee the people will be helpful. If they are not, email me privately.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:01 am: Edit

Massdad,

Thanks for all the advice thus far! But, I'm hesitant to decide whether or not I should join SROTC as well. Do I still contact the PMS even though I may not join the SROTC program?

And I'm far from reluctant to call the Georgetown ROTC PMS, but yeah, look above. ;)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page