DUKE - Elitism Among Students?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2003 Archive: DUKE - Elitism Among Students?
By Chemgirl04 (Chemgirl04) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 01:16 am: Edit

Many people have complained to me that the student body at Duke has an elitist attitude? I'm very interested in Duke and was hoping that this wasn't true...I was wondering if anyone had a perspective on this issue that I would benefit from?
Thanks!
Also, I've read (in several college books) that students at Duke predominately dress in "preppy" clothes...ie pressed pants and skirts and such. While I find this a little hard to believe, I wanted to make sure that a student used to wearing jeans and sweatshirts wouldn' feel somehow isolated from the rest of the students.
Thanks for your help!

By Massdad (Massdad) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 11:27 am: Edit

I don't think you would find an attitude of elitism unique to Duke. It's an attitude quite prevelant in many expensive private schools, and even some public.

That said, in a school the size of Duke, how hard do you think it would be to find your own group/niche? Finally, have you visited? You really should draw your own conclusions, as the opinions of guides and individuals are biased (anchored, to misuse Kahneman's term) by thier own experience. Someone from an upscale suburb would react to any environment differently from a kid from the rural midwest, for instance.

By Perry (Perry) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 11:52 am: Edit

In the past couple of years, there have been several articles in the Duke student newspaper, The Chronicle about divisions among the student body according to income bracket or economic class. A recent report on the status of women at Duke also expressed concern about female students placing an inordinate amount of stress on their appearance. Apparently, female students feel pressure to "look perfect." Perhaps, this is a southern phenomeonon...

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 08:55 pm: Edit

Meet with a Duke recruiter or recent graduate and you'll know rather quickly how accurate the criticisms could be.

Climbing in the USNews rankings is a lot easier than justifying the newly found fame.

And, Mr. Perry, looking "preppy" and looking "perfect" are not the same thing in the South. We know better :)

By Perry (Perry) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 09:45 pm: Edit

Xiggi --

The comment about "looking perfect" is a direct quote from one of the coeds interviewed for the story. Aside from the stories in the Chronicle (the student newspaper), Duke has a wonderful faculty.

Now, looking preppy is something I know nothing about...

By Wisconsinguy (Wisconsinguy) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 08:58 am: Edit

Actually, I think a Duke recruiter would be one of the worst people to meet with. They'll never give you an accurate picture. On the other hand, a recently graduated student might be able to cut through the falsehoods.

By Momofsenior (Momofsenior) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 02:00 pm: Edit

I just visited Duke and I did not find that to be the case at all. My daughter and I were pleasantly surprised to find the students very friendly, not the least bit elitist. Many dressed in jeans and sweatshirts. My post about our Duke visit is on Books and College Nights Part II.

By Emptynester (Emptynester) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 02:22 pm: Edit

just want to be sure everyone knows Duke has full tuition merit scholarships, for which a separate scholarship application is not necessary

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page