AP US DBQ

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: AP US DBQ
By Maverick7 (Maverick7) on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

According to the College Board website, it says that they no longer disclose the DBQ Topic...but, does anyone happen to have some inside info on the 2003 DBQ? Or even the essay questions, perhaps? I'm still gonna study my ass off, but in the AP US PDF file on the website, it says they will declare it, and then on the website, it says they won't. But I'm just hoping that maybe someone is kind enough to share some inside info.

By Nocalguy (Nocalguy) on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

They never did disclose the DBQ topic. But in the previous years they would give you the range of years from which the topic will be chosen. I guess they've stopped doing that.

By Ickyfoo (Ickyfoo) on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

lol, you think they'd actually give out the question?

By Aj61498 (Aj61498) on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 12:29 am: Edit

Is the DBQ graded on a 0-9 scale or a 0-15 scale? THanks to anyone who clears up the confusion.

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 10:16 am: Edit

0-9

By Theproducer (Theproducer) on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 10:33 am: Edit

No actually it is graded on a 1-15 basis and the 2 free response are on 1-9 basis.

By Qu1kslvr (Qu1kslvr) on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 03:52 pm: Edit

no actually the DBQ is graded from 0-9 as are the free response questions.

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 07:42 pm: Edit

Boo yah in yer face Producer.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 10:32 pm: Edit

By Jcoach4 (Jcoach4) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 01:39 pm: Edit

Theproducer is right.

By Ickyfoo (Ickyfoo) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 03:01 pm: Edit

i think the producer is right too.

By Dferraro (Dferraro) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 04:16 pm: Edit

the producer is right, however the DBQ was just changed this year i think to 1-9...but it is weighted more heavily.

But it definitely is *1*-9 and not *0*-9.

Shut up incognito--go get a life.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

wtf?

By Booboo2 (Booboo2) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 10:07 pm: Edit

in the REA ap history guide, the practice tests give you a range of essay questions to answer in the essay portion, where you only need to answer 2. but on the actual ap exam, does college board do the same thing? or does it only give you two questions and no other options? thanks

By Incognito (Incognito) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

you get options for the free response essays, but not the DBQ (i'm almost positive)...

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

true

By Lwithay (Lwithay) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 02:07 am: Edit

I remember last year they still gave you the DBQ 50 year time period (*flashback* 1800-1850)...but got rid of that since they felt that teachers were focusing too much on the DBQ years and less on the other 150+ years of US history.

By Eri (Eri) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 02:57 am: Edit

damnit, that f-ing sucks. lol. *fingers crossed anyway!!!*

:/
Erika

By Booboo2 (Booboo2) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 04:22 pm: Edit

regarding ap us history guides, what would you say have hard multiple choice questions and which have easy? like how would you evaluate REA

By Incognito (Incognito) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 04:25 pm: Edit

REA has extremely difficult MCQs that require very specific info that most ppl dont have. Barron's practice exams, although hard, are much closer to the real thing.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 06:01 pm: Edit

I am going to fail the exam.
On REA, I am lucky if I get 35 right (out of 80)
As for the essays, I dont know nearly enough.

By Booboo2 (Booboo2) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 06:22 pm: Edit

even if rea is more difficult, are its questions good review or even related/similar to that of the actual ap exam, to some degree?

i get around mid50s out of 80..and essays/dbq im worried that i'll blank out.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 06:59 pm: Edit

Well, REA is so extreme. Taking REA practice exams as a means of practice is tantamount to boiling an egg w/a nuclear incinerator. There's no need for it. Of course if you really wanted to challenge yourself, it can't hurt. The only harm it can cause is harm to your morale. It's good review for very specific info that you probably wont need on the test. It's like memorizing the entire dictionary for the SAT I when all you need is a few lists.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 07:02 pm: Edit

Its not that different. I took the practice MC questions that Collegeboard has. I got around a 50%. So its only a bit easier than REAS (for me).

By Incognito (Incognito) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 07:10 pm: Edit

To any New Yorkers here that took the APUSH test ~
Did you find that the MCQs resemled Regents MCQs at all?...

By Booboo2 (Booboo2) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 07:17 pm: Edit

do you have a good apush teacher jason817?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 07:24 pm: Edit

no. we just do groupwork in class, lectures some, never review chapter tests.

By Booboo2 (Booboo2) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 08:22 pm: Edit

*HIGH FIVE* well actually..now that i think of my teacher i think i am going to cry

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 12:04 am: Edit

Don't worry about the DBQ's, even though they don't tell you when it is coming from they are still easier than the essay because seeing the documents will trigger your whatever memories you have about the topic at hand. The essays offer no such guidance.

By Caramelapple (Caramelapple) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:20 am: Edit

But there are always predictions for what the DBQ time period will be. I've heard the 1960's and civil rights mov't for this year. Who knows. But don't worry about it. I think DBQ's are one of the easier parts of the test. Just go off the documents and add some common sense!

By Apguy (Apguy) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 04:40 pm: Edit

>>To any New Yorkers here that took the APUSH test ~
Did you find that the MCQs resemled Regents MCQs at all?... <<

I'm taking it at the end of the year, but my teacher gives us a blend of both questions in our class tests. Everyone gets the regents questions right because there are so many more "factoid" questions which are literally like, "The grange movement was...", whereas the AP requires a good knowledge of all aspects of a particular time period. So the format and difficulty are very different.

BTW- Old US history regents questions can be found here:

http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/core/questions/topics.cfm?Course=USHG

Click on "World War 1" to see questions like the ones I just described.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 05:19 pm: Edit

cool. I have to agree with you when you say that the AP questions require more. But after practicing w/REA, I realized that the real AP questions were (IMO) more like those seen on the regents than on REA tests. And don't worry about the regents, Apguy. It's a lot easier than the APUSH exam, esp. becuase the essays are a lot easier.

By Tenniscassieo (Tenniscassieo) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 06:43 pm: Edit

UGH IM Scared about the AP US History test.... its gonna suck alot....

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

i doubt it will be over the 1960's and civil rights because that exact question was used in 1995. My teacher used it on our most recent test. He is an AP grader and he thinks that it will be somewhere around 1776-1800 because they have not covered that 25 year period in over 10 years. Every other time period has been covered.

By Nealyac (Nealyac) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 09:29 pm: Edit

what happend in 1776-1800? my teacher is a complete moron who not toaught us anything. this is his first yr teaching and its my schools first yr ever to have any ap classes. i am not gonna pass this even if i was a genius doesnt that bite?

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 12:46 am: Edit

The American Revolution, Constitutional Convention, formation of American Democracy, that kind of stuff.

By Ginnyvere (Ginnyvere) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Don't they usually give more time than 24 years? Though, come to think of it, a lot did happen during that time. Beyond the obvious Declaration of Independence, American Revolution, Treaty of Paris 1789, Critical Years, and Constitution, think of the foreign things with which we could've been involved, but were not: The French Revolution, England and France's war where we would not get involved and even passed things like the Proclamation of Neutrality, Citizen Genet Affair, and Jay's and Pinkney's treaties (was Pinkney's during this time?). When was the XYZ affair, it was Adam's presidency wasn't it? Is anyone more worried about the DBQ than the essays? I have a problem working the documents into my essay. I am so terrified of next week and the next, but after the biology exam, I'm done (thank God).

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 11:55 pm: Edit

yeah then the second round of SAT II's horray

chasgoose did your teacher give any other suggestions of what the DBQ might be?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page