ACT 36?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: ACT 36?
By Rowan (Rowan) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 01:33 pm: Edit

I've seen quite a few people that (claim to) have 1600 SAT scores, as well as 2400 SAT II. I haven't seen one person who has claimed at 36 ACT score. Is it really that rare, or am I only seeing a product of the strong difference in the numbers of people that take each test? Maybe the lack of geosocietal (I wonder if that's a word...) diversity on the board? Just curious.

If you *have* pulled a 36 on the test, I'd really like to know what you felt got you there. While I'm on this topic, I want to know how the ACT's "official" practice test on their website compares with the actual ACT (because I'm finding it frightfully easy), and how PR's CD compares as well.

Taking the test this Saturday -- fearing a return of the horrid SAT scores in ACT form.

By Dontknow (Dontknow) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Just curious, where are you from.
I didn't get a 36. I got a 30 on a practice test packet the ACT people give out and a 32 on the real thing.

By Rowan (Rowan) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Southern California; school-wise, just another ol' public school.

32 is definitely not bad. My projected score is around a 29 (self-projected, mind -- haven't taken any practice tests with scores). As far as my SATs are concerned, they correspond to something lower. So here's hoping.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 07:44 pm: Edit

I got a 35, but i still think that's not bad- i don't know the conversion for it. I found that there really wasn't a way to *study,* per say; it was mostly accumulated knowledge.

By Rowan (Rowan) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Heh. I would be orgasmic for weeks if I could get a 35.

General "conversions" from ACT to SAT can be found here: http://www.ucop.edu/pathways/infoctr/introuc/fresh.html#schol

A 35 is roughly equivalent, therefore, to a 1580. Consequently, have you taken the SAT Hahahah? If so, what'd you get and which did you think was ... shall we say, easier?

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Yeah, i took the SAT and got a 1560. I would say that conceptually, the ACT was equal to the SAT, but straight knowlege-wise, the ACT is easier.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 09:44 pm: Edit

Hey Rowan, where in so-cal are you from? I'm from Ventura County

By Rowan (Rowan) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 10:35 pm: Edit

"San Berdoo" county, as it's oh so affectionately called. Definitely appropriate. 9_9

Straight knowldge-wise might help me quite a bit. After years of being forced to think in less than abstract terms, the SAT is just not friendly to my habits. One would think I should learn to adapt to these things, but I'm slow (which explains quite a few things -- heh). Congratulations on your 35, too.

By Aj61498 (Aj61498) on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 03:03 am: Edit

ey im from hawaii, and i got a 34. someone in my class got a 36-36-36-36 36 composite, and i heard that there are only about 15 people in the nation who get 36s out of a little less than 200,000 tested. so, if you get it, then you are a good test taker. :)

By Rowan (Rowan) on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 05:51 pm: Edit

It won't be me, Aj61498, but that would be nice. ;) Congratulations to you for your 34, too. That's very impressive.

By Tbone (Tbone) on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Of the two tests, I would say that the SAT is more difficult.

I took the SAT and got 1440, without any prep. I am currently waiting for my April scores for which I had some prep. My first time taking the ACT, i got 32; I took it without any prep. My second time, i got 35, with prep.

By Rowan (Rowan) on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 02:14 pm: Edit

Thanks, Tbone. That gives me some hope. :)

Anyone else?

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 06:53 pm: Edit

A kid in my grade got a 35. He's trying again for a 36. A teacher at my school got a 36 in high school.

By Jcoach4 (Jcoach4) on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 12:48 pm: Edit

I agree...there seem to be a lot more people out there with 1600's than 36's. In the past few years in my area, I've heard of about 7 or so perfect scores on the SAT, but only 1 on the ACT.

By Rowan (Rowan) on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 04:10 pm: Edit

My guess is that it's a combination of things, but mostly that fewer people end up taking the ACT than SAT. Statistically, that's going to leave fewer chances at a perfect score.

For example, in a school that's SAT dominant (my own), we normally take 4 rooms with 20 or so people each on our SAT testing days. Today, for the ACT, we had one room with 14 students.

There ya go. :P

By Ndhawk (Ndhawk) on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 05:24 pm: Edit

The reason is, is first off the sat is relatively easy, its just math and vocab, aside from the few verbal questions which require you to know the vocabulary, the rest is pretty basic, all sat math is basic, and in the sat one needs to be in the top fraction of a percentile of all in math and in verbal to get a 1600

in the act, you have 4 sections, and two or three of the sections you cannot miss a single one to get a 36, so throughout the entire test to get a 36 composite you can only miss maybe 3 or 4 questions, on the sat, you can miss 5 and get a 1600, and on the sat there is only 138 questions, and on the act there is 215

By Rowan (Rowan) on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Interesting point, Ndhawk.

As to why I never see any of these rare people who get a 36 on the ACT:
"Collegebound juniors and seniors who got maximum scores last year on the ACT: 59; number who took the test: 1,457,563"
-- U.S. News America's Best Colleges, 2000

By Holdenesquealex (Holdenesquealex) on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 07:03 pm: Edit

I know of only one person in my area who got a 36 ACT, and the local media made a pretty big deal about it. Then again, I don't know of any 1600 SATs around here, but hardly anyone takes it.

Are you sure that more people take the SAT than ACT? Because I know that in my area this is not the case. When I took the SATs last week, the nearest testing center was 40 min. away and there were only 30-40 people there. For the ACTs today, there were 3 testing centers withing 30 min., and there were at least a couple hundred people at the place I went.

I live in rural Ohio by the way, which might explain this.

By Kad (Kad) on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 07:06 pm: Edit

yes... that 1.4 million number is kinda old.
the most recent i read was from the princton review 03 act book and i believe it said 2 million.

my guess is about 100 kids in the nation score a perfect. too many questions, too little room for error. to get a 36, though, you can still get two 35s and two 36s. That's still pretty tough.

I think 32 or 33+ is already into the top precentile.

By Rowan (Rowan) on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

I never said it was new. The book says it's from 1999 statistics, so it's understandably a little outdated. And, again, I was going by assumption; I live on the west coast where the SAT is predominant and the ACT is more of a "backup."

I understand it's difficult for the 36 on the ACT now. They don't recenter their scores like the SAT does, do they?

By Thirstydog (Thirstydog) on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 12:14 am: Edit

Holden, more kids take the ACT in Ohio than in any other state. The SAT is much more popular on the coasts, and hardly anyone takes the ACT in New England, at least compared to the midwest.

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 08:05 pm: Edit

I live in Michigan and way more kids take the ACT than SAT. Most kids probably never took the SAT in high school.

By Spearhead (Spearhead) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

A girl in my school got a 36 and a 1600 on her first try, thought it was easy, said she had extra time. This was in the newspaper and news so it's not BS. Wouldn't want to switch her lives though, if you know what I mean

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page