Sweat shops

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Sweat shops
By Vtran31 (Vtran31) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

here's a site my friend gave me : www.nikewages.org .my geographghy class did a project on sweat shops last year. I've sorta forgotten about it. it sickens me: that I do nothing, and can, and that these peopel are forced to live like this.

I don't like how people say this is not our business. People suffering and opressed is not our business? Doesn't matter what country you are in, people are people and we should not be exploting them.

Jesus became poor for us. died to set us free from sin. why can't I become poor for others and give and live to serve?

digression. I know. I want comments bout this and a friendly debate bout this where we can learn bout the issue and if need be, do something aobut it (what's the point of knowing if u don't do anything with it).

By Justperfect (Justperfect) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

in the business aspect of it its great,would you be willing to pay upwards o f $20 for a PAIR of socks,this is what would happen if sweatshops were not created,youd have americans making clothes and charging a ton of money, which would devastate the economy

By Vtran31 (Vtran31) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

they spend way more on advertising than on paying these people. more on the CEO's and upper businessmen. I really do not believe they would need to hike the prices that high just to give the workers enough to live on

By Conker (Conker) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

"that these peopel are forced to live like this."

They are not FORCED to work for Nike. If it weren't for the sweat shops, they wouldn't have a job and would probably return to subsistence farming. We're in a situation where people are lining up to fill up these job opportunities.

Should we put pressure on Nike to improve working conditions for their workers abroad? Absolutely. But remember that Nike is a business, and as long as people are willing to work long hours in unsanitary conditions for low pay, it won't change anything.

By Opspeed (Opspeed) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

You have to remember, like Conker said, that working is a privilege for these people. Without working, the parents have no way to feed their kids. In terms of kids working, they have no where else to go. There are no schools, so it's better for them to work than stay in the streets where gangs and drugs could make their life more difficult. Also, many countries that are economic powerhouses now used to be in the same condition as some of these sweatshop countries. Countries like Korea, India, and China used to be sweatshop nations, but are now relatively well-off.

By Conker (Conker) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

"Countries like Korea, India, and China used to be sweatshop nations, but are now relatively well-off."

Unfortunately, China is very much still a "sweatshop nation". Many companies are moving their plants to China to take advantage of the cheap labor and the few labor restrictions. But you're right. The people treat the work as a privilege.

By Adjlad (Adjlad) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 09:35 am: Edit

Although these people treat the work as a privilege, it doesn't justify the inhumane conditions many of them work through. Many times the wages they receive are lower than the minimum living requirements for that nation.

By Conker (Conker) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 11:12 am: Edit

"it doesn't justify the inhumane conditions many of them work through."

No it doesn't justify their living conditions. America should put restrictions on its multinationals, rather than expecting the host countries to do it themselves. The poor countries of the world are seeking employment for their people. They are competing amongst themselves to attract the foreign investors. As soon as they start putting up restrictions, the foreign companies will merely move elsewhere.

By Adjlad (Adjlad) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 11:31 am: Edit

Perhaps some international effort to establish restrictions on companies is needed.

Businesswise, sweat shops are genius. The only reason companies are getting away with sweatshops is because they simply can. T

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page