ACT.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: ACT.
By Mimi (Mimi) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

i was taking the practice act, and i couldn't understand this question. "which of the following alternatives to the underlined portion would not be acceptable?"

a. umpire patiently gives
b. umpire, who is patient, gives
c. umpire, who patiently gives
d. patient umpire gives

the sentence:

"If batters repeatedly fail to hit the ball-and lots of them do- the umpire is patient, giving them four or five chances instead of the usual three.

the answer is c, but i picked b. i don't understand why c wouldn't work?

Another one:

"Which of the following alternatives to the underlined portion would not be acceptable?"

a. sound
b. complete
c. total
d. intact

"If a feather breaks off with the stub of its hollow quill shaft still in place, the bird's body mistakenly believes the feather is whole.

i picked a, but the answer is c. why?>???

and there is one that asks whether slightly more different is better or slightly differently is better. i picked slightly more different because i thought two adverbs together wouldn't be right???

and another one is, "the rehabilitator applies a touch of glue" is better than "a touch of glue is applied by the rehabilitator". what's the difference????

and one on the math, they want to know how many blocks are needed to make with a stack with 12 levels. like you know when there are three levels, 1st level has 3 blocks, 2nd has 2nd level and 1st level has 1 block?? like a pyramid. i don't know how to find that.

and for the english part, would it better if i answer the questions while reading, or read the whole passage and then answer?? which would be the quickest and efficient? since there's only 45 minutes for 75 questions which means i have to answer two questions in a minute, but i can't answer if i didn't read the passage???

thanks!!

By Legendofmax (Legendofmax) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

C would not work for the first one it simply does not make sense gramatically.

"If batters repeatedly fail to hit the ball-and lots of them do- the *umpire, who patiently gives* them four or five chances instead of the usual three." The usage of "who" here makes the sentence awkward. Any other choice here would work but not this one.

The next question, "total" would not really flow well in the sentence. While all words mean similar things (all there, complete, full, etc), saying that something is "total" is not correct; saying the feather is "intact" or "sound" or "complete" would be a plausible alternative.

As for "the rehabilitator applies a touch of glue" is better than "a touch of glue is applied by the rehabilitator", the first one is direct whereas the second version is said in a passive voice, ie. "The blank was whoaed by the foshizzle" instead of "The foshizzle whoaed the blank". Usually passive voice is something you want to avoid.

For the pyramid, there is a nifty way to figure out long summations. You want to figure out the summation of all numbers 1-12 inclusive for a pyramid 12 stories high. To do this, I would take the median of the set and multiply it by the amount of numbers. There are 12 numbers, where the central two numbers are 6 and 7. The median is 6.5, and there are 12 numbers. 6.5 times 12 is 78, which is how many blocks you need.

I would answer as you read. You don't need to read the whole thing if you can figure out an answer from a smaller portion of the text. Besides, reading the whole thing first usually slows people down because when they read a question they are forced to re-consult the passage anyway. So, I would pace yourself and just answer as you read or vice-versa.

By Mimi (Mimi) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 09:02 pm: Edit

wow. that makes a lot of sense. thanks so much!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page