Weird Way to study for SAT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Weird Way to study for SAT
By Kinglin2 (Kinglin2) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Last year I took the act and got a 27, which good enough to get me in the colleges I wanted but decided this year since I have a pretty good ACT score why not just try out the SAT. So I ended up getting this PR computer disk, and went over the vocab. Now after going over it, the test seems to have a ton of the score based on knowledge of vocab. So I thought maybe besides doing the disk why not, read a little of the dictionary every night. Do you think reading the dictionary every night will have much of an effect on the verbal section?

By Eecs (Eecs) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

uhhh you should use word lists. not dictionary

By Redhare317 (Redhare317) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

No, because there are so many words you will never need to know and also so many that you already do know just from knowing English. If you want quality SAT vocab, use Barron's big SAT I book, which has 3500+ SAT words only. If you do want a dictionary to help you with your studies, you should use American Heritage Dictionary, which is recommended by the Fortune 500 companies and is also the one used by the ETS. However, you should only use it as a supplementary source. Reading the dictionary is no good.

By Kyip (Kyip) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 02:00 am: Edit

Don't. Read. The. Dictionary. The SAT doesn't care if you know the meaning of antidisestablishmentarianism (something meaning along the lines of breaking with the Anglican Church or something)...They only want a college-level vocabulary

By Davidn08 (Davidn08) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:42 am: Edit

the dictionary is full of tons and tons of crap you don't need.

find word lists...

www.soundkeepers.com/SAT/ is the way to go.

memorizing an entire dictionary would take you 100 times longer than learning this list.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page