APs - How many have you taken?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: APs - How many have you taken?
By Penguinzchaseme (Penguinzchaseme) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 06:16 pm: Edit

I was wondering about the AP state scholar award and how many AP tests are usually required to receive it. Now if I'm understanding this correctly, any AP test 4 or above counts and they pick the male and female with the most AP tests. I live in the third largest state in the US (do you know what it is?) and know that I will be taking at least 12 AP tests (I have no idea if that is even close to enough). They are:

Calculus AB
Calculus BC
Government/Economics (these count as one together right)
English lang.
English lit.
Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Computer Science A
Computer Science AB
US History
Music theory

which are all my school offers plus Calc BC which I'll be taking independent study

Please post how many APs you have taken and if you know about how many usually are required for state scholar in your state and also mine.

return APnum;

By Esperanza (Esperanza) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

check collegeboard.com for the AP awards guidelines

By Penguinzchaseme (Penguinzchaseme) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit

I did but i couldn't find any info on specific states' state scholar program.

By Bigdreamscj (Bigdreamscj) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:47 pm: Edit

By senior year, I'll have taken 11 or 12, depending on my schedule.

By Mattman (Mattman) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

I imagine the competition in New York would be pretty intense.

Excluding graduating seniors, in New York there were:

2496 AP Scholars
811 AP Scholars with Honor
334 AP Scholars with Distinction
11 National AP Scholars

This seems you must at least make National AP Scholar to compete with the other 11 National AP Scholars. This past year 174 seniors made it, so you'd be competing with approximately 90 people of your gender.

By Penguinzchaseme (Penguinzchaseme) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 08:30 pm: Edit

no, the third largest population state...try again

By Conker (Conker) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

"no, the third largest population state...try again"

Perhaps you are the one who doesn't know where your state ranks. According to the 2000 census, New York is #3.

By Mattman (Mattman) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

Since you don't know the basic stats of your own state, why don't you just tell us where you are from?

As of July 2003 population:

1. California (35.5 million)
2. Texas (22.1 million)
3. New York (19.2 million)
4. Florida (17.0 million)
5. Illinois (12.7 million)

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004986.html

By Kyip (Kyip) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

Maybe it's largest as in area? If so, then that's CA...Wait, nevermind, it's based on population. Wow, that's pretty sad if you don't know.

If all goes well, I will have taken 14 AP tests by graduation...the chances of me getting it in CA is next to 0.

By Wrathofgod64 (Wrathofgod64) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 02:09 am: Edit

i hope to take 11-12 APs by graduation

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 03:55 am: Edit

"Maybe it's largest as in area?"

???

1. Alaska
2. Texas
3. California

Don't take any AP Geography class, please :)

By Ryan2288 (Ryan2288) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 04:35 am: Edit

I dont know how many AP ill take, I guess as many as I feel comfortable with by test times. Im guessing 9-12??

By _Twinkletoes (_Twinkletoes) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:42 am: Edit

wait so you have to take 12 by the time you are a senior? or by the time you graduate?

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:45 am: Edit

14 by graduation here

By Seahorsekid (Seahorsekid) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 12:00 pm: Edit

does anyone have the link to the breakdown for each state of the ap awards won? I remember seeing it on here before, but i can't find it. I think that if I were to get national ap scholar recognition next year, i would be the state scholar as well because there weren't any national scholars from VT if my memory serves me correctly (of course, this was a while ago, so I don't know).

By Tenbelow (Tenbelow) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

6 by graduation. We can't do more than 3 in a year at my school, and I really have no desire to do more than 3 in a year.

By Reasonabledad (Reasonabledad) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

Penguinschaseme and I asked about the same question on two different threads at the same time...but all AP tests (except repeat tests, according to CB) count toward AP State Scholar as long as the score is 3 or above. If two students have the same number of tests, then the highest average score prevails. But there is a minimum of three full-year course exams required and a second mimimum of 3.5 average on all tests taken to be considered for AP Scholar in the first place.

Seahorsekid - the link that I know is on apcentral and shows no national AP scholars for Vermont in 2003, but does show 37 AP scholars with Distinction, so we could guess that between 5 and 7.5 full-year tests won the day in Vermont for state scholar, but we don't know exactly what the number was. In fact, if all 37 were either male or female (long shot, I know) then the winner from the other gender would have taken fewer than five full year tests.

By Kyip (Kyip) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:24 pm: Edit

"Maybe it's largest as in area?"

???

1. Alaska
2. Texas
3. California

Don't take any AP Geography class, please

I meant 3rd largest in area. Oh god...do I really have to type everything out for you

And I bet I'm better than you in geography/history :) I've been getting A+s in social studies since 4th grade. *rolls eyes*

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

No need to brag Kyip, don't even trip, there are people on this board.......stop....MANY of the people on this board who will beat the dilhole outta you in almost every subject imaginable.

By Leely888 (Leely888) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:48 pm: Edit

13 or 14 by graduation

By Kyip (Kyip) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Well if I came off as an a--hole, then sorry. That was pissing me off because I'm planning to take the Human Geo test, and by telling me not to take an AP Geography class, that offended me. Because honestly, a 3-year-old with dylexia could tell you that Alaska and Texas are bigger than California.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

thats a pretty smart 3 year old

By Sandwraith (Sandwraith) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 03:16 am: Edit

why are you taking Calc AB AND Calc BC? Likewise, Comp Sci A AND Comp Sci AB? If that's all for the state scholar thing then you really have to work out your priorities....

By Conker (Conker) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 04:48 am: Edit

Kyip, I suggest you read your post again :)

"Maybe it's largest as in area? If so, then that's CA..."

By Kyip (Kyip) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 07:32 pm: Edit

I did, and I would assume you 4.0, million ec students would see what the hell I was talking about :) How about you reread the beginning of the thread, then come to mine and reread it too? Must I really type out and post "Maybe it's (3rd) largest....in terms of area"

Honestly, if this was conversation-wise, person-to-person, you would clearly understand what I meant. Obviously this is not a nice place as I perceived it to be, as those who make spelling errors or make subtle, yet clear, intentions of something is criticized beyond all belief.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

I <3 Kyip

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page