About the 10 real SAT book

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: About the 10 real SAT book
By Jdp02 (Jdp02) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit

I finished the 10 real SAT book. Did okay on it. Got mostly 1100 or 1200. I wonder if I should do the book again about two or three more times. What do you think? Would it help me more?

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 03:48 pm: Edit

not really, it would artificially inflate the scores since you have seen all the words and read all the passages in the verbal section now.

By Missj (Missj) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

well...i think it helped me in my situation. i did all the tests in the 10 real SAT book last summer and took the SAT1 in october. then i did the practice tests again before my june SAT1.

so it depends. i forgot the words and answers to the passages the second time around so they were like new practice tests to me.

or you could just review the questions you did wrong/weren't sure about. i like to record the words i didn't know in a notebook and write down their definition. whatever works best for you...good luck =)

By Leaf (Leaf) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

If you can, buy one or two other SAT books. Alternate which book you test out of every week (or whenever you take a practice exam). That way you don't have to worry about what stayed in your brain because you saw it how many times (not because you know how to solve it or the actual word definition) versus actually knowing the material.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Doing the book again WILL help you.

Most people use the 10RS incorrectly. A diagnostic score is relevant to ascertain your starting level and another score will help measure check your progress. Between those, all the other scores matter little. Use the majority of the tests to build your understanding of the test, to refine your strategies, and to try to develop faster solutions by increasing your problem recognition. Recognizing a problem and REMEMBERING how to solve it is ... good!

Redo the entire book without time limit and with your source books left opened. To increase your scores you NEED to go beyond a peripheral knowledge. That is why practice works so well, and it has nothing to do with the scores. If you do not spend AMPLE time (about twice the testing time) checking your answers, you could take a different batch of ten tests without much improvement.

By Jdp02 (Jdp02) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 06:36 pm: Edit

xiqqi, missJ, and Leaf, thanks for the advice. You have been very helpful. Thank you again. Oh and thanks to you too Andrew 1218

By Vtran31 (Vtran31) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 04:29 pm: Edit

i don't like how they take away the seciton that is not scored. DOES NOT SIMULATE TRUE TEST CONDITIONS. lol I'm a nerd

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page