Self teach calc

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Self teach calc
By Piman3141 (Piman3141) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 03:47 pm: Edit

not for AP test or anything, just in my spare time. What books would be needed for calc after precalc and all the way up to multivariate calc+vector calc? Thanks for the help.

By Inneedofhelp (Inneedofhelp) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

I taugh myself calculus last summer. I first read a book on the history of calculus called "A Tour of the Calculus" by David Berlinski, then I read "Calculus the Easy Way" which I have to admit was really childish, but it was concise and straight forward. It doesn't cover the stuff thats on the BC exam, but it covers most of the AB. I stopped studying for the whole school year since I was taking only Trig this past year. Now I'm reading the Cliffs Notes AP book on AB and BC. It's very good, but doesn't really supply any of the foundation in how the methods work like "Calculus the Easy Way" does. I recommend you take a class in calculus before you get started on multi-variable because it starts getting confusing around there.

By Frankthetank314 (Frankthetank314) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

I am teaching myself multivariable calc, because my school is too cheap to provide a class or pay for an online class, and I won't be going to college for a while. It's a very rewarding experience. I am using some text by Larson, Hostettler, and Edwards, which covers BC and multivariable material. It's a pretty standard and popular text. I have the fifth edition, the hardcover one with the weird thing on the front that sorta resembles a Mobius strip.

By Averagemathgeek (Averagemathgeek) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

The first book I used was Quick Calculus by Kleppner and Ramsey. It is a good book to introduce you to calculus. I used Larson's Calculus to learn Calc I and some of Calc II. For the rest up to Calc III, I used Swokowski's Calculus: Classical Edition, which is not as "pretty" as the text by Larson, but it is still a good text.

By Vtran31 (Vtran31) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

can u dive into those books w/out knowing pre-cal?

By Paul_Dirac (Paul_Dirac) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

If you have had an exemplary Algebra II curriculum, then yes. Pre-Calculus simply reviews concepts that are found in Algebra II textbooks. However, if you want to dive into calculus without going through Precalculus first, you must have gone through an Algebra II course WITH trigonometry..

Btw, I have just bought Calculus, by James Stewart. It has a litany of negative reviews at Amazon.com, but they seem to come from immature college freshman who have not put in the time or effort to master the material (The negative reviews are childish!). Is Stewart's book good for self-teaching yourself? How about using it in conjunction with another calculus text? (since my school does offer calculus)

By Tongos (Tongos) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

advanced calculus by david widder, its gooood!! Get's on the more theoretical side too.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page