What's a good score?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: What's a good score?
By Clipper (Clipper) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Hey does anyone out there who is in the International Baccalaureate Program know what number total is considered a good score?

By Bigdreamscj (Bigdreamscj) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 03:35 pm: Edit

4 is passing, but always strive for a 7 =D

By Clipper (Clipper) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 08:03 pm: Edit

no, Imean like a total score
28, 30, 35 etc

By Clipper (Clipper) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

Does anyone know?

By Calliandra (Calliandra) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

I think 24 is passing, as far as the diploma goes.

By Bigdreamscj (Bigdreamscj) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

Yea, it is 24 (6 tests x 4 points passing).

By Clipper (Clipper) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:10 am: Edit

But I was wondering what would be termed a good score? Like a 24 is passing you say so is that an average score or would 30 or 40 be an average score. Do most kids just get a 24?
Would you think 30 is a great score or just so so. I am just trying to get a sense of what is considered good/excellent.
Thanks for responding.

By Legendofmax (Legendofmax) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:34 am: Edit

30 is very good, 35+ is exceptional, 40+ is omnipotence :P

By Conker (Conker) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 01:12 pm: Edit

I don't think 40+ is unreasonable if you're aiming for the top schools. That's getting one 5, two 6's, and three 7's, and then the 3 bonus points (which are really free points, IMO).

By Marite (Marite) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 03:06 pm: Edit

Clipper:

Not quite answering your question, but my understanding is that HYP will grant Advanced Standing for 3 IB scores of 6 or 7. It is possible that H has raised the scores to a full 7 since it raised AP scores to 5 for credit.

By Clipper (Clipper) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Yes, that is what I understand - that Harvard wants 3 -7's on the Higher Level for advanced standing. I also thought Harvard wants 5 - 5s on the AP for advanced standing.

It is too bad that the IB scores come in AFTER your senior year but oh well.
I know on my daughter's applications the counselor (who was totally clueless) had to estimate her scores. He is so senile that he couldn't even remember her name let alone estimate her scores!
I was just trying to get an idea of where her scores fall into the norm. I read on the website that they do not curve their scores - you get what you get.
I do thank all you who have posted.

By Legendofmax (Legendofmax) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

I was wondering this too. Your scores for the HLs come in after apps. What are you supposed to do?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page