General Score Reporting Question

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: General Score Reporting Question
By Spork (Spork) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

I am relatively uninformed about the American educational system, so I would like to pose a few questions that bewilder me. Last year, as a freshman, I took the SAT II in World History. However, I did not choose to send my scores to a specific college, as I do not yet know which college I want to attend. Thus, will my score, which I recieved via www.collegeboard.com, still be valid since I did not specify a college to send my scores to? Also, is it necessary to keep a portfolio of such scores as AP, SAT, and ACT tests?

In addition, in doing volunteer work, is it not recommended that one keeps a portfolio encompassing his/her hours, areas of work, etc? What specific information should I keep in this portfolio?

Thanks.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

Hi, Spork
when you send your SAT scores to colleges they all go - SAT's and SAT II's. You will want to be able to present 2 or 3 very good SAT II's scores to your colleges: one should be math, and another science if you are interested in that. You don't need to take SAT II's in everything - just your best subjects.

Keeping track of your hours, awards and so on is always good. Also, think about obtaining a letter of recommendation from your supervisor in these activities; they can keep it on file, and then send directly to schools when you apply.

By Tanman (Tanman) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

The Collegeboard keeps a permanent record of all your SAT I and SAT II scores, so in the future, when you send a SAT score report to a college, it will include all your previously taken SAT exams. The ACT isn't run by the CB and I'm not sure how they do score reports

The CB also keeps a seperate, cumulative record of your AP scores. Normally, most college applications will ask for you to write in your scores but will not ask for an official score report. You will only need to send a score report (when you take AP exams during your senior year) to the school you will attend so that they can give you credit for your AP exams

As for volunteer documentation, the form I use is http://www.nhmccd.edu/docs/events/publicservicescholarship/volunteerdoc.pdf (The form is for a local volunteer scholarhhip - You should make your own form using the same information)

By Jimt (Jimt) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Also, if you request an SAT score report after having taken the test, you'll have to pay a fee for each school.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page