Which Way?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Which Way?
By Indcat (Indcat) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 12:59 pm: Edit

Hi I am an indian international student.
Im planning to give my SAT-IIs out of which im taking Writing and Math IIC . But i dont know which third one to take.

I thought about Literature but i SUCK in it . My practice got me a 450(its DISGUSTING , i know).
I saw that World History has a decent curve so should i try my hand at that . Since Lit has not much prep possible i dont see a future there . So how do u study for the World History test?

Also i just got an idea to give the Math-IC also....Any sense? Im pretty decent in Math
(770 SAT-I)

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 01:23 pm: Edit

Are you good at any science classes?

By Indcat (Indcat) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 01:35 pm: Edit

nope no science taken

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

I don't know that much about the World History test- I took the class in 9th grade, and didn't take any SAT IIs until 11th so it didn't do me any good there. If you're good at it and you have a solid knowledge of world history I'd take the test, provided you prep a bit of course. I'm sure other posters who took the World History SAT II could provide you with possible books you could use for preparation.

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 01:50 pm: Edit

I took world history but I didn't buy any prep books. I had just taken the AP exam a month ago so I felt I didn't need to. The history SATIIs are pretty easy so if you have a pretty good knowledge base of history, you should be fine.

By Alotor (Alotor) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

And to add to Asianalto's advice, you also need some common sense. If they show you a piece of artwork on the exam that asks you to identify the country it is from, don't put United States or some Western civilization as an answer for a picture that shows Japanese geisha girls.

By Ivybound (Ivybound) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Definitely don't take lit if that was your practice score!

By Paulhomework (Paulhomework) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 12:36 am: Edit

If you have taken a solid world history class, such as AP or something similar, then take the world history. However be aware that it's not by any means a general history knowledge test. The questions are VERY specific and mostly deal with little known facts. If you're good in history, go for it. If you're not, it might even be worse than the literature score you got.

BTW the test's main focus is on Europe and the Western Civilization in general, although India, China, ME, and Africa do compromise a small minority (if i remember correctly around 35%-45%).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page