Verbal Help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Verbal Help
By Goheels2008 (Goheels2008) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit

I have 10 Reals...I would like a 100 more points on verbal. I have til October...is taking one test a week a good idea...my math is already in a good range. What, in addition, to 10 Reals is good for Verbal? I know Princeton Review is good for vocab. Any suggestions on analogies and passages that deal with sciences..I tend to do better on social science passages.

By Bacchanalian (Bacchanalian) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

For CR circle every passage that deals with a line reference or word reference. Do those first without reading the entire passage, just the lines right around the reference. The test is designed so that the answer is always within a few lines of the reference that they give you. After you do this, you'll almost always have enough info to answer the general questions. It's what PR teaches and it definitely works, I used it on my test and only missed one CR.

By Goheels2008 (Goheels2008) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

gracias keep'em coming

By Zofaan (Zofaan) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

I'm not an expert at reading, but as for vocab, I boosted my score 100+ points because I memorized (and I mean memorized) the 3000 sat word dictionary. It is an excellent book, but you have to be patient, it took me along time to finish it. I'm now working on the Gruber's dictionary. I now approach the dreaded question #15 and #23 with confidence. Good Luck

By Number9 (Number9) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

I studied Gruber's list. I can't say I fully memorized the whole list, but I learned a lot from it. My score raised from a 590 to a 700. I didn't miss any sentence completions, and only one analogy (CR •••••• me!), so I say it helped a lot. Its also to know the common bridges for analogies. There's about 10 or so, and are helpful.

By Seahorsekid (Seahorsekid) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:33 pm: Edit

what book can I find gruber's list in?

By Number9 (Number9) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

Gruber's...Its just one big book...

Really, any list (that has around the same number of words) is going to be the same.

By Seahorsekid (Seahorsekid) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

how many words did you end up memorzing?

By Number9 (Number9) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

Hard to tell. I did memorize a majority of the list.

By Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Find those verbal workbooks and concentrate on them. I had one from kaplan and it was very good. I wouldn't worry about memorizing too many words, as it's still hard to predict the ones on the test. Maybe you should memorize some greek and latin roots.

As for analogies and sentence comp, it's the same thing of making the bridges and filling in the blank before you look at the answers, and just practice. For CR, I don't know if this will help, but I never read through the passage. I read the blurb (the italics description) and went to the questions. I probably ended up reading the passage anyway as i was refering back, but sometimes reading the whole thing confuses you, because they try to trap you with things like "ooh that looks familiar" when it wasn't even in the same paragraph.

By Goheels2008 (Goheels2008) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Where can I find these "bridges" everyone keeps referring to? Is it just connections between sentences? I know that there are some distinct analogy bridges such as defintion, or opposite, or one is a lesser form of the other (like the classic fire:conflagration). Is there a list of bridges that are used only somewhere???

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page