Should I retake SAT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Should I retake SAT?
By Slipstream99 (Slipstream99) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Okay, don't think I'm nuts because I just want to get into a good school. I *try* not to be a loser :)

Anyways, I got a 780v and 730m. (this is the first time i took it, and i took it last November. I would retake in Oct.)

The thing is, the reason why I want to retake it is because of the Robert C. Byrd Scholarship at my school (unweighted GPA times SAT score). The problem is this: I am tied at 1510/4.0 GPA uw with another girl and she just retook the test in june. I have no idea what she got, but she got the 1510 her sophomore summer. On top of this reason, I want a 1550 to become a shoe-in for Emory Scholars program because I am an obsessively nervous person who would worry from the moment I sent in my SAT scores to the program that I should have retaken it. Third, my guidance counselor is bugging me to retake it (although i don't really know if i should trust her opinion, because she wanted me to retake my SAT II: US History because I got a 790 and she wanted the winner of the Byrd scholarship to retake her SAT to raise her score above the 1570 she already had...)

So, do you all think I should retake it? Do you think I would improve my scores (considering 11 months will have passed since my first SAT)? Thanks for the advice.

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 02:24 pm: Edit

no, there's no clear distinction between 1500 and 1600

By Slipstream99 (Slipstream99) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 05:15 pm: Edit

so, say i were to get a 1600...i'd be on the same level as a person who got a 1500?

By Conker (Conker) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

"so, say i were to get a 1600...i'd be on the same level as a person who got a 1500?"

On the academic index, yes. But psychologically, your 1600 may have an effect on admissions.

By Isabella (Isabella) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:30 pm: Edit

I think that because of your concerns, and the possibility that you'd kick yourself for not retaking, you should retake. Just for your own peace of mind. Although your guidance counselor is off her rocker, suggesting retakes with those scores! She probably wants the higher stats for the school!!

By Slipstream99 (Slipstream99) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

thanks for the advice

By G_Li (G_Li) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

woah, woah, woah!

"so, say i were to get a 1600...i'd be on the same level as a person who got a 1500? On the academic index, yes. But psychologically, your 1600 may have an effect on admissions."

are you kidding? for a good college, the difference between 1500 and 1600 is immense! Especially if it means the difference between such a great program as the Emory Scholars Program. Whatever you can do to MAKE SURE you get in, you should. That includes studying and taking the SAT again.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 08:48 pm: Edit

You should definitely retake if you do a lot of practice problems, especially with math. Get really damn good at math problem solving. Verbal will probably be word memorization and/or reading comp practice. With summer vacation and a slightly lazier senior year, I have no excuse not to retake either.

By Slipstream99 (Slipstream99) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

Okay, I'm going to...RETAKE

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page