SATII Writing Barrons/Kaplan

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: SATII Writing Barrons/Kaplan
By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

How do Barrons and Kaplan compare with their practice tests?

I was looking at Kaplans, and it seems considerably easier than Barrons. Which is more like the actual test?

By Deerhunter (Deerhunter) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

Both are more difficult than the real test.

I would generally get 4 questions wrong on each Kaplan MC, and then proceed to punch my wall. I could show you the dents, but I don't feel like it.

On the actual test, I didn't miss any MC questions. Instead of punching the wall, I enjoyed some delectable gummy bears. Illegal? Sure. But I'm a badass...I'll eat gummy bears where I want, when I want.

Pandas are cute :-D

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

I've had a pretty boring day. Thanks for making me laugh deerhunter

By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Is Kaplans really harder?!

By Mjmatrix1 (Mjmatrix1) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 01:12 am: Edit

I can tell you that Barron's is much harder; I got several wrong on the practice exams but got an 800 on the real thing with one M/C wrong. It's the best practice for the SAT II Writing, in my opinion.

By Calidan (Calidan) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 01:23 am: Edit

"Both are more difficult than the real test.

I would generally get 4 questions wrong on each Kaplan MC, and then proceed to punch my wall. I could show you the dents, but I don't feel like it.

On the actual test, I didn't miss any MC questions. Instead of punching the wall, I enjoyed some delectable gummy bears. Illegal? Sure. But I'm a badass...I'll eat gummy bears where I want, when I want.

Pandas are cute :-D "

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! That was THE funniest post I have ever read!

By Xjay2max (Xjay2max) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 03:29 am: Edit

Barron's is definitely harder, as usual.

By Conker (Conker) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 03:57 am: Edit

What about Sparknotes?

When I did PR, the mistakes just jumped out at me. When I did Sparknotes, the errors were so subtle that I would just glance over it. Or maybe I was just having a bad day.

By Slipstream99 (Slipstream99) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:08 am: Edit

I thought Barron's did a good job with the practice tests. I usually got in the 750 "range" on the tests and ended up getting an 800 on the real thing. But, hey, they have to make it harder because people would be violently pissed off if they consistently got 800 on practice tests and a 750 on the real thing. Also, I found that I didn't even do the essay topics they did in the book for the practice tests. AP English Argument topics in class are the best prep for that.

By Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 09:40 pm: Edit

Pandas are cute! A little vicious sometimes, but cute.

My advice would be just to take all the practice tests you can get your hands on. At an hour apiece, they're not that hard to do one a day. I took all the tests from Barrons, Sparknotes and Kaplan. I thought Barrons was hardest and Sparknotes easiest, but even Sparknotes was no easier than the real test. It's decent, but they have a lot of typos.

By Miamidude (Miamidude) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 10:37 pm: Edit

why doenst anyone ever use PR for writing? is it not good?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page