Why no breakdown on AP scores?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Why no breakdown on AP scores?
By Taylor6465 (Taylor6465) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

I'm sorry but the college board is a little rediculous. We paid, what, $73 to take the AP exams and all they tell us is a score from 1 to 5. Come on now, they had two months to grade the thing and they can't even tell me which parts I did well on and which ones I didn't? Oh well, I just think for that much money and that much time to wait, they could at least analyze our scores and tell us how we did on the free response questions and on categories of multiple choice questions.

By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

Yeah, I really wish they'd give us essay subscores and MC raw scores. It is quite absurd. I had to pay $90 for the damn test. Plus $30 for REA and PR books, thats $120 blown on one ••••••• test. Its ridiculous.

By Conker (Conker) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Breaking down your scores would make the process too competitive. People would start striving for perfect scores, and American students would become a test-taking machine. I do agree that it would give colleges a better overview of a student's abilities if both an MC and an FRQ score was given.

By Feuler (Feuler) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

I agree with what Conker said. Especially when there is subjective grading involved (the essays), it is best to keep results simple and not make too much room for students comparing themselves with one another. They're meant to be placement tests, not competitive exams.

By Massdad (Massdad) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 11:53 pm: Edit

AP exams are fundamentally different from the SAT tests. They are not a normed test - no bell curve, measurement error etc. Rather, they are designed to be evaluative, and assist colleges in making credit and placement decisions.

BTW, it is interesting to look at the score breakdowns. CB has them on their web site - each test by score, grade (11 or 12) state, ethnicity etc. It is interesting seeing how the average score varies by subject. For instance, Calc BC, considered by most to be a tough test, has the highest average score, 3.68, whereas environmental science has the lowest, 2.61.

At any rate, all these tests have scores that are arbitrary. For the SAT, how did they pick 200-800? (especially since all scores have ended in zero for years) Why not 1-10? 1-100. Do SAT scores tell you more than AP scores? Not really, especially given the Standard Error of the SAT.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page