Should I let a year pass?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Should I let a year pass?
By Buttcrack (Buttcrack) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

I'm an upcoming senior and, unfortunately, my family has a low income so I can not pay for college. Even if I get scholarships, they only amount to a few thousand which is a very small portion of the full amount I have to pay. Those big ones are extremely hard to get so I can not depend on them. Thus, I was wondering if I could work for a year to earn enough money to enter a university. Should I do this? And if I do, will my SAT, AP, or SATII scores be expired or something?

By Conker (Conker) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Only the tests you took in Freshman year will expire. :)

By Buttcrack (Buttcrack) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

are you serious? they only have a 4 year life span?

By Jimt (Jimt) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

Your scores won't expire. I transferred colleges, and was able to send my SAT and AP scores 3 years after getting them.

By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

At least try and see how much money you can get. You might be surprised. If you can't, then take the year off, I guess. I usually don't care for telling people to take the year off...

By Zenacolleen16 (Zenacolleen16) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 12:57 am: Edit

I think that you should still apply to a few colleges and see what kind of need-based aid you can receive. You might be surprised at how accomodating some schools can be; especially if you show a genuine desire to learn. You deserve to be able to get an education no matter what, so whatever it takes.....

By Sarasote (Sarasote) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 03:44 am: Edit

Apply to all ur schools and then defer ur acceptance for one year. a lot of people do that to do say missions, traveling, community service, etc. apply to ur schools, if u dont get the financial package u need, then defer the acceptance and return the following year. u dont have to re-apply

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

I suggest you go through the college application process while the momentum is on your side. With your fellow classmates, teachers, counselors all doing college apps right now, you can jump on the bandwagon and go through all of the motions and see what you get. And you know that if you don't get what you want you can do it again as an experienced hand. All of my kids felt that if they had another chance at the college process there were things they could have done differently. So it certainly won't hurt you to go through this now and learn first hand how things work while everyone else is doing it too. Get the tests in order, fill out the FASFA with everyone, pick your colleges--if you need money choose schools that give close to 100 of need and have generous merit aid. Take a look through the 2004 USNWR Ultimate College Guide at the financial aid stats of colleges of interest. It is a win win situation for you. If you don't get close to what you need, you know how certain schools operate.

Your test scores will not expire and it is wise to get those SAT2s in order while you are taking the courses.

If you give me some idea of where you live, your stats, your interests, where you want to go to school, what you are interested in studying, I can give you a tentative list of schools to check out.

By Conker (Conker) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 04:20 am: Edit

"Your scores won't expire. I transferred colleges, and was able to send my SAT and AP scores 3 years after getting them."

Did you read my post? I said that his Freshmen scores would expire, meaning 4 years.

I'm pretty sure that your scores do expire in 4 years. I've seen it in brochures (or on the website, can't remember) regarding AP policies. And as for the SAT, haven't you heard of all those middle schoolers who are pressured into taking the SAT's "before they count"?

By Silver4 (Silver4) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Middle Schoolers often take the SAT through CTY (Center for Talented Youth.) You check a box indicating that you're not in high school when you take it, and the scores don't show up on score reports unless you specifically ask for them. I was really glad to have taken them; they never psyched me out in high school, and I picked up some scholarship money (a free 3 credit course at the University of Virginia, w00t!)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page