AP Psycology or AP Statistics

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: AP Psycology or AP Statistics
By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

I want to study one of these myself because I can't fit them into my schedule(I have band).

But which one? Which one will colleges want a 5 on more? In other words, which AP will they say "Oh.. its just another garbage AP" to? And I'm talking colleges in general.

And for people who started self-studying either of this already, what is your schedule? I already know what to use, but if you have something great to add it, by all means do so!

Offer some suggestions !! :)Thanks

By Conker (Conker) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

Study whichever one you like better. As I've said before, chances are that the colleges won't even notice. Study the course that you think will benefit you most academically, and if you plan on majoring in a subject related to one of those fields, whichever one would give you credit.

By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

Stats and Psych are debatedly the two easiest APs. So decide which you like more, and go with it.

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Eh.. I heard Stat is counted as half an AP, is this true?

I'm basically taking this to make up for what I can't fit into my schedule, but if colleges won't notice, I may not want to spend time taking. Sure I may like it, but it will take a lot of time.

Any more advice on whether I will gt any advantages from this ?

..oh, and I thought Environmental Science and Geography are the two easiest APs. Aren't Stats and Psycology better than these "loser" APs?

By Conker (Conker) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

I hate to call any AP a "loser" AP, but if any are loser AP's, yes, they are Env Sci and Human Geo. Stats and Psych aren't far behind though.

Both Stats and Psych are considered half-credit AP's, FYI.

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:18 am: Edit

I see,, so it doesn't count towards the AP awards thing right?

Truthfully speaking, I wanted to take AP Bio, but I don't think I have enough energy to self-study it. Is it really hard to self-studying AP Bio?

By Sagar_Indurkhya (Sagar_Indurkhya) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:54 am: Edit

I would self-study psych. Stats isn't like normal math, and instead consists of memorizing lots of different problem types, etc.

By Xjay2max (Xjay2max) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:58 am: Edit

I flipped through Barron's Psychology and the topic seems really, really... interesting. I'd go with AP Psychology just on that fact :)

By Joeperson (Joeperson) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 12:30 pm: Edit

I self-studied AP Biology. If you've taken a regular biology course, it shouldn't be too difficult.

The hardest things with self-studies are being motivated and keeping on track. I knew the stuff from the regular course pretty well, but procrastinated so much on learning the advanced stuff that I didn't even have enough time to sufficiently cram. I still got a 4, though. You'll be alright.

Oh, and get copies of the required labs and read through them. They ask about them on the test.

By Conker (Conker) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

"I see,, so it doesn't count towards the AP awards thing right?"

Sure it does. It just counts as 1/2 of a credit. So if you self-studied both Stats and Psychology, you'd get 1 credit.

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

Well, I did take regular biology and I got a 740 on th Sat II: Biology M. So I might consider self-studying it.

But the most important question is: How much time do I need to spend to do this?! I heard there is a crazy amount of info to memorize. And will self-studying AP Bio help me in th Science Olympiad competitions?

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 09:58 am: Edit

Bump please?

By Xjay2max (Xjay2max) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

The Science Olympiad... I have no clue. However, AP Biology, as I have heard from my friends who have taken it (we don't offer it in my school), said that it was extremely hard and that Cliff's AP basically saved them in both their classes and the exam.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page