Best AP Chemistry Cram Book?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Best AP Chemistry Cram Book?
By Tokenadult (Tokenadult) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 10:33 am: Edit

Hi, everyone,

I'm wondering what you would recommend for students preparing for the AP Chemistry exam (also the SAT II Chemistry exam) after taking a solid honors-plus-level high school chemistry course with a first-year college textbook? The kids will be learning most of their concepts from the textbook, labs, and class discussion, but are looking for a cram book mostly for familiarity with the test. What's the best brand name these days for an AP Chemistry prep book? What brands would you NOT bother using?

Thanks for any advice you have.

By Piman3141 (Piman3141) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:54 pm: Edit

I got a 5 on the AP Chem, but then again I found my AP Class to be fairly easy. Anyway, I would recommend either Kaplan's or the Princeton Review (which I used). Both accurately portray the AP test and do a good job in presenting information in a logical, organized manner. If youre looking for a good SAT II book though, definitely go with Kaplans (includes excellent section on descriptive chemistry), as the Princeton review is supposed to be poor preparation and is essentially the same as the AP review book. (I dont know how much youve heard about Barron's, but supposedly it's far more difficult than the real tests, and I would recommend against it). So for the AP- go with Princeton Review, and for the SAT II, go with Kaplan's. Hope this helps.

By Zach447 (Zach447) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

I found Princeton Review to be the best cram book for AP Chem, especially if you're using "Chemistry: 6th ed." by Zumdahl as the textbook.

Some cram books "review" the course in far too much detail, making it very difficult for the student to know they have a full grip on the material. I loved the brevity of The Priceton Review's cram book. You won't be learning any new concepts from it (that's the job of the textbook and teacher, obviously), but it goes over everything a student needs to know for the exam, including a very useful section on Descriptive Chemistry. In fact, it even says in the Introductory chapter(s) that "[I]f it's not in here, you don't need to know it to get a 5," which I found to be very relieving...

"ARCO: Chemistry" is also a useful book, but probably something to have in addition to the textbook throughout the year, as opposed to using it to cram. I think it's produced as a cram book, but goes into far too much detail to be used, say, at the beginning of April.

I also got a 5 on the AP Chem text, by the way, and this was my first Chemistry course. Good luck to your students!

By Tokenadult (Tokenadult) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

Thanks for the tips.

By Miamidude (Miamidude) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 02:48 pm: Edit

so whats a good ap chem review book assuming u dont learn anything in school and just wanna learn from a review book?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page