Best resources for self-study AP English Language

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Best resources for self-study AP English Language
By Innotof (Innotof) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 04:05 pm: Edit

I'm a homeschooled junior, and I'm looking for the best prep books, web sites, etc. for AP English Language. Can anyone here help me out?

By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

Prep books are mostly useless- I bought 2 for my self-study, didn't end up really using them. I liked Cliffs better than Kaplan, but all they're good for is the terminology review. The tests in the book didn't really mirror the real AP test. The seemed more like tests to review the terminology list they'd provided. The real test didn't use many advanced rhetorical devices (except for one example of preterition...and OF COURSE I forgot the term...). It's not a test you can really prep for- it's more a test of knowledge and skills you've been developing since you started reading. Good Luck!

By Ivybound (Ivybound) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:14 am: Edit

A good grammar book is probably the best way to go, to ensure you're really solid there. If you've consistently been at an A level in English, though, you won't need much prep. You should get familiar with the test itself, though. Try the PR book - they tend to be pretty good on the SAT/SAT II/AP tests.

By Jess13 (Jess13) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:29 am: Edit

hahaha I knew praeterition from Latin, I wasn't sure if it was used in English, but I figured what the hell and put it in my essay. I bought books, didn't use them though. It's mostly a test of your writing and analytical skills.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page