I SUCK AT MATH!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: I SUCK AT MATH!!
By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 02:20 am: Edit

Hey wassup everybody...well I was thinking about taking the Math IC or IIC this fall, but i suck at math. Do you guys know a good prep book for Math I or IIC? Well any info would be appreciated..thanx

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 04:49 am: Edit

Are you better at algebra/geometry or more comfortable with concepts in trig/pre-cal? If you're better with more basic concepts, take IC; if you're more comfortable with trig even though you're not mathematically inclined in alg/geo, take IIC. Then again, if you're looking at a non hard science/math major and the colleges you're looking at will accept any 3 SAT II, you'd be better off taking 3 in subjects that you're strong in.

All my prep for the IC (which I struggled with miserably and was able to get around not having to send out a not so hot score by taking a 3rd SAT II in a subject that I was good in and using that score instead) came from practicing for the SAT Is with my 8 Real SATs/10 Real SATs books. I heard PR makes a good prep book for the IC/IIc, but don't quote me on that- I'm sure there are other posters here who could give you better advice regarding what book to use!

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 04:44 pm: Edit

OK thanks for the info tiwnkletoes696. Ya i think the math IC might be easier for me but I heard the curve is ridiculous...and i heard math IIC's curve was a little bit more generous. But I also have the option of Waiting till June to take either the Math IC or IIC, because that way i'll be done with Pre-Calc(Honors). Well thanx again Twinkletoes696..does anybody else have any suggestions?

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

bump

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 01:09 am: Edit

Since you have taken honors pre-calc...I would reccommend you to give a shot for the math iiC. True, you could take a practice test for both math ic and math IIC, and make your descision based on the practice tests scores. However, my personal opinion is that prepping for the math IIC is more straightfoward; really you just need to review your pre-calc stuff and get pretty good for it. Prepping for the math IC is like prepping for the SAT I math; much less direct and consisting mainly of just doing practice problems instead of actually doing some learning.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 01:18 am: Edit

O i'm sorry if i confused you Thermodude but i'm gonna be done with honors pre-calc at the end of my Jr. yr which im going ot start this fall. So i was saying I could wait and take the test in June of 2005. The only reason why i think i might do beeter in the IC is because I think(well for me at least) it's easier to remember and comprehend alg&Geo for a person that doesnt like math. I mean i know the pre-calc will be fresh in my mind but I really doubt i will understand it fully.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 01:29 am: Edit

Apparently, IIC is the one to take because the curve is much more generous. Barron's IIC book is the book to have. Many on this board have said its very hard, but if you can get through it, it makes the real test a breeze.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

Thanx Mrbesch. Ya i think that is the problem, getting through it. Well how good is the Barron's IIC book?

By Blane1086 (Blane1086) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 02:16 am: Edit

Dude I got Barron's IIC and got discouraged in about five minutes. Go with Sparknotes 5 practice tests, review your wrong answers, and go from there. The first few practice tests I took I was in the low 600's; I pulled off a 780 on test day, no joke.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 02:20 am: Edit

ok that sounds good...I think i might look into Sparknotes. Thanks Blane1086. Blane1086, would you consider yourself a good math student or are u just ok at math?

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 02:38 am: Edit

Ok i'm probably mistaken but i'm at sparknotes.com and I managed to pull up some info on the Math IC&IIC. They are giving me all this free info that seems like it should me in a prep book? Is this just an example of what the prep book has or is it just like it. I doubt they would make it just like it since the prep book cost money but I mean there is a lot of info on it so it's weird. Well can someone tell me about it? thanks

By Susu (Susu) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 06:30 am: Edit

If you truly suck at math, take the IC. A generous curve on the IIC will not help you if you hate math. And I think the only situation where the IIC is worth the risk for someone like you is if you're applying as a technical major, or to a technical school. The IC math is pretty much like the math on the SATI, so you can cover two tests with one course of study. PR is good and so are most of the others.

By Varr (Varr) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 08:04 am: Edit

Caliplaya did you get that info from their web site ?? :) Im preparing for the SATII Biology with Barrons book, I also went into Sparknotes web site and yes I found theirprep book online for FREE :), Its a good source to refer to.
However Blane is actually talking about a different book, yes its from Sparknotes but its a book thats got 5 tests!! its not a book you read its just practice tests. I bought the one for the Bio and after reading more than half of the book, I found Sparknotes to be simple.
I know that people might advise to keep away from Barron's prep books, but Isnt it better to prepare as hard as you can! Barrons book will help you resolve those hard problems, just dont give up nor get discouraged!! just keep trying and you'll see that your score will be exactly what you wanted!!:)
However I still recomend you go with Blanes, sparknotes, I really liked those 5 tests :)
Good Luck!!

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Susu is right; don't bother with IIC if you're not good at math- if you get through trig and are lost, the curve WILL NOT HELP YOU very much. You're better off with the "lousy" curve on the IC. But hey, I guess you could always take both exams and see how you do in June. :)

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Thank you all for the info....it was really informative. Well i mean i'm not really "horrible" in math, being that i will be in honors pre-calc as a jr. But i think i might take twinkletoes696 advice and just take both of them. I see a lot of ppl recommending both sparknotes and barrons...should i just get them both? O and is sparknotes free online prep books any good? I noticed they dont have a practice test so they probably aren all that great. Thanx again for all the advice guys. It was really helpful.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 01:12 am: Edit

bump

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 03:35 pm: Edit

bump

By Jaredthegreat (Jaredthegreat) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

College Board makes a real SAT II book. It has one each of some twenty-two SAT II tests. I also used the practice tests from Kaplan's SAT II Math I/IIC prep book.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page