Advice for APs.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Advice for APs.
By Caligirl6 (Caligirl6) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 12:44 am: Edit

I am an upcoming senior and I wanted to get ahead start on all my AP classes...so what advice/study guides do you guys recommend for the following classes?

AP Bio
AP Lit
AP Econ
AP Calc BC

thanks!

By Number9 (Number9) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 12:47 am: Edit

bio - cliffs
calc bc - barrons

By Ontolome (Ontolome) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 08:29 am: Edit

what are the best review books for AP US and english lit?

By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 09:39 am: Edit

For APUS, PR is really good.

By Metra (Metra) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:50 am: Edit

By Delacroix (Delacroix) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:58 am: Edit

I've always liked Princeton review (especially eng lit....I found Barron's Calc one to be not very effective. GOod luck!

By Ontolome (Ontolome) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 11:08 am: Edit

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 11:40 am: Edit

AP Lit- know literary terms.

Back up what you read with Sparknotes so you really get the themes and character development down.

Make sure that you study/analyze poetry during the year and get a feel for interpreting a poem and picking apart different aspects of it.

I never took the other 3 exams, so no advice there, but good luck to you! AP Lit was a tough class in terms of having a lot to read and constant essays, but I liked it a lot. If you put the effort into it, chances are your writing will improve a great deal by the end of the year.

By Angeldesignpro (Angeldesignpro) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 11:59 am: Edit

Barron's calc is terrible. Avoid at all costs. It hurts to read.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 12:10 pm: Edit

I know Caligirl isn't taking APUS, but I know someone reading this board must be! I recommend the book by REA... it's an extremely good supplement to the textbook (especially if you're using The American Pageant) and if you don't cover a section/era of history in class/with the textbook, in a crunch, the REA book will help a lot. I learned about the entire era from 1950?-2000 that way and it ended up being fine because I retained a lot of that knowledge and was able to use it on the multiple choice section of the test.

By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 01:11 pm: Edit

Ahhh! Speaking of the American Pageant, I HATED that book. I liked The Enduring Vision better.. cause the author of the Pageant used all those stupid metaphors (the Russian bear lumbered over to the Pacific to cool its paw in Japanese waters) or something stupid like that. But, the good thing is that he talks about John Quincy Adams being a pimp and he talks about Polk dying of his chronic diarrhea. How embarassing.

Enduring Vision is harder to read, but has a LOT more information.

By Karmapoliceman (Karmapoliceman) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

What should I do for APChem and Spanish Lang?

By Vtran31 (Vtran31) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

my physics teach ( really smart, really nice, really cool) says schaum's (spelling?) for chem and physics

By Bigdreamscj (Bigdreamscj) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

AP Lit -- just know lit terms, like twinkletoes said. REA was the one I "used" (meaning I opened it once). I've always found practice tests to be much much harder than the actual exam. Also, unless your teacher is completely out of her mind, you'll be doing plenty of essays during the year (in-class are the best to practice for the test)...the more you do, the better you'll do. (I got a 5, btw)

Lucky us..we're both taking AP Calc and Bio this year. I'd appreciate any books for those tests.

By Slipstream99 (Slipstream99) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

I used the American Pageant in my APUSH class and it felt like a really good book. That book was the reason I got a 5...it doesn't deserve to be knocked! If you take APUSH, NEVER NEVER NEVER get Barron's for that class; it sucks butt.

By Apchemreject (Apchemreject) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 07:56 pm: Edit

AP Chem - Princeton Review, take old MC exams and FR Questions

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 08:48 pm: Edit

I <3 the American Pageant.

By Deeny1414 (Deeny1414) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 08:55 pm: Edit

AP Bio=Cliffs
AP Lit=Princeton Review
AP Econ=just don't use Barron's! So many mistakes in it and it's nothing like the test.

By Aph (Aph) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

hehe, taken all those except econ.

APUS: http://www.course-notes.org/ This thing saved me last year. Use every day!

Lit: Yea, read lots of poetry. And literary terms. And read the books with "literary merit" i.e scarlet letter, beloved, etc. etc.

Calc bc: luckily you'll have a good teacher, in which case you don't need any other materials. Also if you've had a good solid math background, calc just builds upon that. I really wouldn't recommend buying a book to study off of. Besides, all the books should cover the same things mostly, and really all you need are some practice problems and a good teacher willing to sit with you to explain it. It's hard to learn math straight from a textbook.

Bio: Can't help here. All bio textbooks are pretty bad, but the test review books should be good.

Physics: The schaum's is ok, but you learn absolutely NOTHING about concepts. If you want to actually learn something and not just go solely for the 5 on the ap test, get another book.

By Number9 (Number9) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

>>All bio textbooks are pretty bad

Campbells isnt bad at all...

By Irock1ce (Irock1ce) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 10:04 pm: Edit

campbell is ownage.

By Recordingwater (Recordingwater) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 09:18 am: Edit

I took APUSH this year. I NEVER read the American Pageant book. EVER. What I did was read notes from online (just type in apush notes in a search engine) instead and read the Princeton Review prepbook. You might have to do it differently, though, because in my class my teacher graded it like a real m/c section, meaning anyone with a 65% and above got an A on that test. So I could pretty much float by the whole year without studying at all and just listening to his lectures.

About 2 weeks before the actual exam, I started studying a little harder; I mainly used the Princeton Review APUSH book. I got a 5. =)

Also, here's a tip:
If you don't feel like writing the practice essays, just read the "answers" to them. It helps a lot, trust me.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page