Help-AP Dilemma

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Help-AP Dilemma
By Primab (Primab) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

I posted this in the wrong discussion (admissions) so I apologize if you saw this there....

After taking the SAT I's, I got sick the Sun after, was in a lot of pain, but didn't know what was wrong. Decided to take the AP Eng. Lang.that Mon. anyway (even tho my school doesn't offer AP English)but could not finish it. Went to the DR. after and found out I had shingles-extremely painful. I asked my college counselor to cancel the test-but to my shock I just received the score (2) in the mail. I have e-mailed my counselor to see what -if anything-can be done.Have not heard back from him (he's probably away now).

I will be a Senior this year-good grades, OK SAT I's (760 M/660V)and a 740 Writing SAT II (will take 2 more in Oct. and then SAT I again in Nov. to see if my verbal can be better). Junior year I finished with 3.75 UW/4.16 W at a very competitive private school with no ranking. I am not applying to any Ivies. Northwestern is the most competitive school I am applying to. I also like Boston College but the first question on their supplement is what AP's have you taken and what score did you get.

Any advice you can give me will be appreciated. Thank you.

By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Contact the College Board. Explain your situation. I doubt they'll help much, since it seems a fault with your school. You can only hope that CB is helpful and understanding about it. I doubt you'll be able to the score cancelled by yourself, and it's still a stretch with help from your guidance counselor. Quite unfortunate.

You could explain your situation by attaching a short letter to your application. I don't think it would help that much, though. It might seem you are looking for excuses. That 740 in Writing will help you downgrade the 2. Perhaps you should take the writing test again, and get an even higher score. Its a gamble, though.

By Magd (Magd) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

At my school students do not have to report their AP scores on their transcripts. If they do well, they usually elect to have their scores cited, but in the event of a failing grade (2/1) they always ask the college office NOT to report it. You should have this option too -- ask your college counsellor.

By Primab (Primab) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

Thanks so much for the advice. Number9-I agree. It looks like an excuse and I hate excuses. I could ask my doctor for a letter-but that is soooo pathetic. I hope you meant that the 740 Writing SAT II will "upgrade!" If it downgrades-I am in real trouble!

Madg-I hope you are right. Then it will be moot. I hope I will hear from my counselor soon-and at the very least, he knows me, and he could include a note.

Just what I didn't need....:-(

By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

Yeah, yeah, it will upgrade. No trouble.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page