How Will Colleges View My Score?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: How Will Colleges View My Score?
By Takeheart (Takeheart) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 02:26 pm: Edit

I just received my APUSH grade in the mail today; I got a 4. I'm very happy with this because I honestly was expecting a 1 since I never took an APUSH class. I'm wondering how the top schools will look at my score. Will they think that, "Oh, it's not a 5," or will they see that I didn't take an AP class and maybe take that into account? I'm planning on applying to places like Yale, Princeton, and Swarthmore. Does anyone know?

By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Ivies like 4s and 5s. It's alright. You probably won't get any credit at the college for it. I see no harm in the 4, though. I believe that a 3 and below at an Ivy can be harmful, though.

By Tenbelow (Tenbelow) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 03:50 pm: Edit

I just visited Dartmouth and they give higher math placement if you get a 3 on BC Calc. Because of this, I don't think taking AP exams and getting a 3 is anything horrid. It happened to me sophomore year with APUSH. They just want to see that you've pushed yourself to a higher level of academic work. Sure, you might not get your college credit for it, but at least a 3 is evidence that you put yourself through it and (possibly, like me) struggled to do well.

I talked to an admissions officer who is an alumna of the school and she said she got 4s on both of her AP history exams. To sum everything up, there's really no need to worry about a 4, even if you are applying to top schools. Remember, the admissions process is HOLISTIC. An admissions officer at Duke said that they aren't looking for students with a College Board education, but rather students who have challenged themselves and have some kind of impact on their school community.

If you haven't already figured it out, I just got back from a week of college tours.

By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

BC is an exception. I think they generally like to see 4s and 5s, but are, truthfully, kind of disappointed with 3s. BC is different, at most Ivies a 3 actually translates as credit and sometimes exemption. Just about every other AP at an Ivy does not grant credit for 3s. Some for 4s, and a majority of 5s. You really have to check, it all depends.

I wouldn't be disappointed/worried with a 4, unless you really had your hopes up on getting credit for it.

By Mahajan2005 (Mahajan2005) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

My friend got 3s in Spanish and ended up getting into HYPS...so I would chill.

By Neolinski (Neolinski) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 06:57 pm: Edit

there was/is another topic about AP scores,
and in my conclusion, they dont much care.
it's more of placement than admission.

(i got 3 on APUS HIS. YES! -_-)

By Conker (Conker) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

"I'm very happy with this because I honestly was expecting a 1 since I never took an APUSH class."

Since you didn't even take the class, chances are they won't even notice your 4. Self-studying an exam is great for placement, but it will hardly improve or detract from (unless you get a 1) your application. They have too much to review to be analyzing AP scores to see which courses you self-studied and how you performed.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page