AP Art History independent study

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: AP Art History independent study
By Greendelight (Greendelight) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 04:32 am: Edit

i am planing to do independent study on art history next year because i am so interested in art history yet my school doesn't offer this course. i wonder if it's easy to get a good score( 4 or 5) on the exam by independent study. BTW, is there any good suggestion about which text book i am going to use? since my mom is super interested in art, we have tons of art reference at home, does it help?

By Smkumar0 (Smkumar0) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 10:53 am: Edit

Hey. The Art History exam is pretty tough, mainly because there is so much material to cover. But since you're interested in art history, it might be easier for you to learn all the material. If you're able to learn most of the material and have a good idea of the major themes and movements, it shouldn't be hard for you to get a 4. Getting a 5 requires a good knowledge of the material and a good proficiency in writing to express that knowledge. So in the end, I recommend you go for it and commit time to learn the material. The text book that my class used was Gardner's Art through the Ages (4th or 5th edition is fine). It was a great book and you can really learn from reading it. And yes, art reference material helps (I recommend that you use those art reference materials to go over the stuff about a month before the exam). Nevertheless, I loved art history and it is a great subject. Good luck and enjoy!

By Flachica412 (Flachica412) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 11:58 am: Edit

I used Gardner's Art Through the Ages last year for my class and felt that the book was great preparation. If you like art history, you will do fine studying it on your own. My class used volumes 1 and 2 but only got through about half of each book. I got a 5 on the exam and didn't think the exam was that hard. Make sure that you work quickly since there is a ton of material to get through. Since there are no prep books for the ap art history exam it is a good idea to use art resources on the internet and any books that you have. The Louvre's website has virtual tours that are very helpful. Have fun and good luck.

By Inopa (Inopa) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

what does the louvre's site have? whats the difference with actually visiting the museum/castle?

By Greendelight (Greendelight) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 08:54 pm: Edit

thanks, u guys.
BTW, i found an art text book called "ART HISTORY" in my house. its author is Marilyn Stokstad. i briefly went through it this afternoon and i realized it's very detail and well- organized. this book is one of the recommended text book from college board list. i am just wondering if i should just use this book instead of the " Gardner's Art Through the Ages". after all, i can save some money.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

I actually had both books for studying AP Art History. Both Gardner and Stokstad are great authors for discussing art history as a survey course.

I do believe both books are recommended by the College Board, so either way, you have made a great selection! I know how expensive the Gardner books can be, maybe your nearby community college carries a few used copies?

By Greendelight (Greendelight) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 02:53 am: Edit

thanks, tlaktan.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page