Concentration

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Concentration
By Cheershopgrl (Cheershopgrl) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 01:40 am: Edit

When I take the SAT I practice tests, my mind goes off and it feels really "blurry" after the first 4 sections. Usually on the last critical reading section, the words go through my eyes but not to my head so I forget what I'm reading about.
Do you guys have any tips on how to concentrate through the last hour or so on the test?
And overall, what is your strategy for staying FOCUSED and not spazzing out when you don't know the answer or when you can't concentrate on a problem?
thanks!!

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 02:23 am: Edit

i had the same thing during SAT verbal-the reading put me to sleep; i would suggest this focus pill that i saw on TV

for nondrug improvement, try lots of practice tests in real testing format to a point when 3.5 hrs seem like eating an ice cream cone;

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 02:53 am: Edit

Practice helps A LOT. Practice Real SATs (ugh, I know, time consuming and tedious but it will help your concentration a lot, fine tune your skills and help boost your score), but don't do a whole one at first. Work for like a 1/2 hour and slowly build up so you can build up test taking stamina!

I have an extremely crummy attention span. I hit points during the test where I think if I was given the option to watch paint dry instead for the next 3 hours I would have hopped out of my seat and made a run for it. :) But having had practiced quite a bit did help, and I actually was better off NOT doing the questions in order. I left the really boring ones for toward the end because I knew I'd spend like the whole time just trying to get through them, and by then I would probably have built up some confidence- which would allow me to tackle the trickier/more boring questions a bit more easily.

For the reading... to get through a passage I would see how many lines there were (I forget... is it somewhere between 45-90 depending on the section? Someone like Xiggi would know) I would give myself little pep talks. Lame, but it helped. I would be like, "Okay, this is really really boring, but if you read this well enough NOW you won't need to waste time rereading it! And if you really focus just for these 3 hours, maybe you won't have to spend another 3 hours next month going through this nuisance again!"

Good luck!:)

By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit

I gave up on trying to keep focus throughout the whole thing. I let myself take breaks throughout the section and start working when I feel like I can pay a little more attention.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page