Good Source for SAT Vocabulary?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Good Source for SAT Vocabulary?
By Seahorsekid (Seahorsekid) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

I found this website...
http://www.takesat.com/wordlist.php
Can some of you SAT vocab gurus take a look and see if it would be worth my time to learn these words or if i should go out and... *gag* spend MONEY to get the princeton review vocab list (unless there's another good list online i could use...)

By Journkid (Journkid) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Read as many books as you can. THAT should be the only verbal exercise anyone would need.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

amen

By Seahorsekid (Seahorsekid) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 09:27 pm: Edit

any suggestions for good books?

By Bard (Bard) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

The Brothers Karamazov
Invisible Man
Waiting for Barbarians
Crime and Punishment
Brave New World

That should get you started...

For Vocab words just get barrons or kaplan and memorize the word list.

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

--Hit Parade from the PR SAT book,
--Hot Words for the SAT I from barrons by Linda Carnevale or wutever
--Sparknotes 1000 most common SAT words

these are all very very good books, and have helped me so much that on my past SAT, i only missed 1 sentance completion, and 3 analogies...stupid CR.grr. :-)

so yea, if anyone wants very good books with words that appear on the test, get the ones i have, also, i picked up thise list from the internet. its hte 100 most common words on the SAT, and dude. on my test, like 15 of the words were on there. thise is a freakin good site. here is the address:

http://www.quia.com/servlets/quia.activities.common.ActivityPlayer?AP_rand=996736336&AP_activityType=1&AP_urlId=1527&gameType=list

By Overachiever (Overachiever) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

wordsmart.
those sparknotes sat word novels.

By Abogachkov (Abogachkov) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 01:57 am: Edit

read the Dune books (Dan Herbert???) -good books, and hard vocab.

By Zofaan (Zofaan) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit

3000 sat word dictionary, half way through my verbal score increased about 100 points. Im still reading it.

Reading novels doesn't held; memorize words, it's the only way to go.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:59 pm: Edit

You should spend 95% of your time learning how to develop superior bridges and 5% of your time checking word lists. Lists like Barron's 3500 words are a total waste of time, unless you have nothing better to do or seek the elusive last 20-30 points.

Vocabulary is not the downfall of SAT testers, it is the lack of understanding of the test.

By Seahorsekid (Seahorsekid) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:08 pm: Edit

The problem is that most of the time with analogies, I find myself creating good bridges unless i don't know the vocab... in that case I guess (and it's obviously wrong more often than not with a 650). Wouldn't it make more sense in this case to increase my vocabulary?

By Vtran31 (Vtran31) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

wait the invisible man by HG wells? I read tha tin like 5th grade nad I found it very simple. or did I read somekid version and there is an insanely difficult edition?

By Sar (Sar) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

There's another Invisible Man book, and it's nothing like Wells's. It's about a black dude's life in a white-dominated society.

http://www.english.upenn.edu/~afilreis/50s/ellison-main.html

By Zofaan (Zofaan) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 01:52 am: Edit

Memorize. It's the only way.

By Vtran31 (Vtran31) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

ahh thanx sar.

seahorse, R U taking the old SAT agai nthis fall? if so I hav eosme tips for the analogies.

do u know Kaplan 1600? they have some good, logical stratagies to do well on Analogies. like 4 or 5. very good. I can tell you some right now.
( I made up the examples so corect me if I am wrong)

-omit all answer choices that are synonyms or antonyms of each other. ex: violent: passive; smart: intelligent. NOTE: do not omit ones where one is a higher degree of the other. ex) happy: ecstatic. ecstatic means very happy

look at the answer choices and :
- if it is not a strong bridge, cross that one off. ex) criminal: violent. criminals are not always violent but osmetimes are. since the link is not true in all conditions, it is not a good answer choice.
- ifit is one of the "hard" questions (near the end of that set of analogies) omit ones that seem obviously correct. ex)
question : war: soldier::
answer choices: battle: sword
chew: teeth
a war is fought with soldiers but a battle is not always fought with swords, but you always chew with your teeth. battle: sword seems correct b/c battle is reltaed to war. don't let that trip u up.
- if the link is reversed in the answer choice. not good wording, so just look at the example

question: Doctor: surgeon::
answer choice: Bible: book

a surgeon is a type of doctor. Bible is a type of book. The link is the same, but the order of the words is reversed. so it is wrong. ( someone seriously please reword this)
- if two of the answer choices have the same link, omit both choices.
ex) answer choices: cell: neuron
book: novel
a neuron is a type of cell and a book is a type of novel. since they both ahv ethe same link, neither can be right (since two answers cannot be right on the SAT)
vtran31: do u know Kaplan 1600? they have some good, logical stratagies to do well on Analogies. like 4 or 5. very good. I can tell you some right now.
( I made up the examples so corect me if I am wrong)

-omit all answer choices that are synonyms or antonyms of each other. ex: violent: passive; smart: intelligent. NOTE: do not omit ones where one is a higher degree of the other. ex) happy: ecstatic. ecstatic means very happy

look at the answer choices and :
- if it is not a strong bridge, cross that one off. ex) criminal: violent. criminals are not always violent but osmetimes are. since the link is not true in all conditions, it is not a good answer choice.
- ifit is one of the "hard" questions (near the end of that set of analogies) omit ones that seem obviously correct. ex)
question : war: soldier::
answer choices: battle: sword
chew: teeth
a war is fought with soldiers but a battle is not always fought with swords, but you always chew with your teeth. battle: sword seems correct b/c battle is reltaed to war. don't let that trip u up.
- if the link is reversed in the answer choice. not good wording, so just look at the example

question: Doctor: surgeon::
answer choice: Bible: book

a surgeon is a type of doctor. Bible is a type of book. The link is the same, but the order of the words is reversed. so it is wrong. ( someone seriously please reword this)
- if two of the answer choices have the same link, omit both choices.
ex) answer choices: cell: neuron
book: novel
a neuron is a type of cell and a book is a type of novel. since they both ahv ethe same link, neither can be right (since two answers cannot be right on the SAT)

By Mutineer_33 (Mutineer_33) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 03:05 am: Edit

It's by Ralph Ellison if I remember correctly...very good book. Although others may disagree, the 'Invisible Man' doesn't contain difficult vocabulary. Its only intention (OBVIOUSLY) was to help dismantle racism, not to challenge the dictionary.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page