Any Suggestions on How to Improve my Score?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Any Suggestions on How to Improve my Score?
By Calidan (Calidan) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Hey, everyone. I took the SAT for the first time back in December. With no studying, I got a 1300 (660 M, 640 V). I then studied off and on for about 5 months and took the test in May. I got a 1410 (710 M, 700 V). The books I used were Kaplan SAT, and the Barron's Math and Verbal Workbooks. I also took 2 Practice tests in Kaplan, and 1 in 10 RS. I would like to get my score above 1460, but I'm not sure how to. I was thinking of using Kaplan 1600, but I've received many mixed reviews of it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to increase my score about 50 points, if i've already used the basics? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

By Abogachkov (Abogachkov) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

1. study vocab to up your verbal score

2. go throug hthe Kaplan 1600 - it has only tough problems, hence good practice

3. take as many practice tests from 10 RS as possible - the more practice the better

By Calidan (Calidan) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 07:52 pm: Edit

Thanks, Abogachkov! Can you reccomend any good vocab lists to study? And does anyone else have a suggestion?

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

math-just practice hard problems and develop such test taking habits as underlining key parts to problems, checking the answer right after solving it, and remembering towards the end of the section that 3 x 2 = 6, not 5 lol. You're obviously capable of 800 in math. And for vocab, study PR's list of words, and if you feel more necessity, go to Barron's word list

By Justperfect (Justperfect) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Barrons has a good verbal book and has plenty of each part of the test, it has 3 levels of difficulty which are great practice, it also has a good vocab list(its a blue book)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page