Ap awards?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Ap awards?
By Csugarman (Csugarman) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Someone told me there is some sort of AP award that if you get an average of a 4 (or maybe a 3) on 3 exams or more, you get this award. I've never heard of this before and I don't think I am thinking of the AP National award.. Anyone else hear of this? Or anything like it?

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

yeah, there are a bunch of them: the lowest award is a 3 on 3 exams

By Abogachkov (Abogachkov) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

this is copied from: http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/scholarawards.html
--------------------------------------------------
AP Scholar
Granted to students who receive grades of 3 or higher on three or more AP Exams on full-year courses (or the equivalent).

AP Scholar with Honor
Granted to students who receive an average grade of at least 3.25 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of 3 or higher on four or more of these exams on full-year courses (or the equivalent).

AP Scholar with Distinction
Granted to students who receive an average grade of at least 3.5 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of 3 or higher on five or more of these exams on full-year courses (or the equivalent).

AP State Scholar
Granted to the one female and one male student in each U.S. state and the District of Columbia with grades of 3 or higher on the greatest number of exams (at least three full-year course exams or the equivalent), and then the highest average grade (at least 3.5) on all AP Exams taken.

National AP Scholar
Granted to students in the United States who receive an average grade of at least 4 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of 4 or higher on eight or more of these exams on full-year courses (or the equivalent).

National AP Scholar (Canada)
Granted to students in Canada who receive an average grade of at least 4 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of 4 or higher on five or more of these exams on full-year courses (or the equivalent).

Department of Defense for Education Activity (DoDEA) Scholar
Granted to the one male and one female student attending DoDEA schools with the highest average grade on the greatest number of AP Exams. The minimum requirement is a grade of 3 or higher on three exams on full-year courses (or the equivalent).

AP International Scholar
Granted to the one male and one female student attending an American international school (that is not a DoDEA school) outside the U.S. and Canada with the highest average grade on the greatest number of AP Exams. The minimum requirement is a grade of 3 or higher on three exams on full-year courses (or the equivalent).
--------------------------------------------------

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

So if you only take 3 exams even if you get all 5's you could only be AP scholar. Am I interpreting it right?

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 02:51 am: Edit

do you actually get some sort of letter/recognition saying this?

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 03:52 am: Edit

Arizonamom - yes

andrew1218 - yes, you get a certificate in the fall

By Hpk37067 (Hpk37067) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 11:10 am: Edit

But it seems so useless to try and get the National AP Scholar. I mean, most people start taking AP courses in the Sophomore Year. And by the time you apply for college, you would have to take 8 AP courses in 2 years, 10th and 11th. That's freaking crazy. One would have to take 4 AP's per year, which I don't think is really possible. And by the time you actually attain that, you have graduated High School and doesn't really add to your College Resume.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 11:19 am: Edit

actually, a couple hundred or so rising seniors get Nat'l AP scholar, so they would be able to put it on their college apps. Some of them do take 4 or more APs in a year. And some of them start taking APs early, even in middle school.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 11:23 am: Edit

CB also administers an AP award program for Siemens, which involves a scholarship. Only 5s on math/science APs count.
http://www.siemens-foundation.org/apawards/default.html

By Hopkinslax (Hopkinslax) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 01:11 pm: Edit

A kid I know took 8 exams in one year

By Subtrunks (Subtrunks) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 01:13 pm: Edit

I took 5 AP's my junior year and 3.5 my senior year. I haf the opportunity to take 1 more my senior year or 1 in sophmore. It is very hard but not impossible to be a national ap scholar.

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 01:25 pm: Edit

"actually, a couple hundred or so rising seniors get Nat'l AP scholar, so they would be able to put it on their college apps. Some of them do take 4 or more APs in a year. And some of them start taking APs early, even in middle school."

A couple hundred as in 87.

By Miniskus (Miniskus) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

If I got 5s all on Microecon, Macro Econ, English Lit, and Calc AB, what award will i get?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Miniskus - AP scholar. Micro and macro only count as 1/2.

By Miniskus (Miniskus) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 02:10 pm: Edit

thanks a lot. i figured, cuz in my school it was only 1 class, but we have block scheduling and only those ap classes, so i guess that's the best anyone can do!

By Screwed4life (Screwed4life) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Can you get an AP Scholar Award. If you got 3 or higher on two exams this year and one exam last year? Does this award require all 3 AP exams must be taken in the same year?

By Smkumar0 (Smkumar0) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

Hey guys. I have a question about the National Scholar award. Does it require that you take at least 8 AP classes and get an average of 4? Also, are colleges impressed with such awards? Thanks.

By Justice (Justice) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Yes you need at least 8 full-year credits and an average above 4.0. However, more than just an average above 4.0, you need to have a total of 8 or more 4s. This is what makes it harder. You can't have 7 5s and 1 3.

By Mikey13 (Mikey13) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

Screwed4Life- "Does this award require all 3 AP exams must be taken in the same year?"
No.

By Justin871 (Justin871) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

I'm really confused about when AP awards are received. I just got my results today (in Maryland) and I qualify for AP Scholar w/ Distinction, but I didn't receive a certificate or any type of recognition yet. Just wondering as I prepare my college applications when I should find out. Thanks for any help!

By Davidn08 (Davidn08) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

i took physics b (whole), french (whole), stat (half), got all 5s...

making me "AP Scholar with Distinction "

i shouldnt put that on any app. right...? colleges know what i got and know what it takes to get that.

By Justin871 (Justin871) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

David, I found out we receive the certificates in the fall (it turns out Im Blue said that in an earlier post), and my grade report says that awards earned are indicated when you send your grade report to colleges. I'm not sure how much that helps though, my guess would be that it couldn't hurt to point it out on your application under "Academic Honors earned".

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

if an AP award is one of the top awards you've received in high school, you should list it. If you have a bunch of other more important awards and need to prune, you could certainly leave it out and assume that colleges will figure out for themselves that you qualified.

By Shrek2004 (Shrek2004) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

does the subscore for calc bc count? so would that be 2 ap tests or just 1?

By Bcrichsolo (Bcrichsolo) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Do you guys think it is bad to put AP Scholar on your application as an achievement if its still possible that you might not be one? I already have the requirements but theoretically...If i fail all my AP exams this year I wont get the award.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

calc BC is one exam. The AB subscore does not make it 2 exams.

Bcrichsolo - Scores come in the summer. You should know before you are doing apps in the fall if you have the requirements or not. You can't claim an achievement on your app if it's based on exams you haven't taken yet.

By Daria1000 (Daria1000) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 01:06 am: Edit

David, if you've only taken physics, french and stats, that's only 2.5 exams. So you don't even have enough for a regular AP scholar let alone the distinction part. If you have taken more and just forgot to list them and you really are an ap scholar with distinction, then put it on your application if you have space for it. Even if they can figure it out for themselves, it doesn't hurt to draw a little bit extra attention to it.

By Lemmethink (Lemmethink) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

Here are mine so far:

9th grade
Biology - 5
Human Geo - 3

10th grade
Euro Hist - 4
Stats - 4

11th grade
Calc BC - 5
Calc AB subscore - 5
Lang and Comp - 4
Comp Sci - 4
Physics C Mech - 4
Physics C E&M - 4

What award would i get?

By Deeny1414 (Deeny1414) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 07:39 am: Edit

AP Scholar w/ distinction

By Tweaks (Tweaks) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 10:49 am: Edit

If you're really crazy about getting Nat'l scholar by senior year, you could always study an exam on your own. (of course, you'll have to have about 7 tests already under the belt). Physics B is a good choice if you're already taking honors physics and the subject interests you; Psychology + Statistics is another one, because neither subject is really hard, especially if you understand the fundamental concepts, which many students apparently don't always get (eg, the free response for both often asks stuff that you should know just by intuition -- such as, why would a statician doubt these results?). The Barron's book for those can be helpful, and if you're quick you can just read out of that.

By Chicago (Chicago) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 12:14 pm: Edit

AP State Scholar is pretty tough to win especially if you're in a bigger state. I had all 5s on a lot of exams and was still 2 tests behind the #1 guy. I'm sure this has only become more competitive since I graduated.

By Clipper (Clipper) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Chicago I was curious about those State Scholars too. I wondered how many tests those scholars end up taking? Any idea?

By Eecs (Eecs) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

Hey is there a list that tells you whether a course is full year or half year? and what if you take CompSci A and then take CompSci AB the following year, would only the AB count or will both A and AB count separately (for 1.5 years). same goes for calc AB and BC.

By Delacroix (Delacroix) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 07:23 pm: Edit

Yeah, I think I qualify for National AP Scholar (rising senior)...I would like the AP state scholar...so I echo Clipper's question...any idea anyone?

By Mattman (Mattman) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

If you qualify for National AP Scholar are you out of the running for AP State Scholar? Is State Scholar just the highest girl/guy that got Scholar with Distinction but not National?

By Afay05 (Afay05) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 02:02 am: Edit

Is there any benefit to receiving an AP award after you've committed to a school? It seems as if the award is essentially meaningless if you can only receive it pending your senior year AP scores, which come only a month or so before you head of to college. Anyone have experience with this?

By Lemmethink (Lemmethink) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

Can i still qualify for national ap scholar after taking AP tests and doing well on them senior year? ie, do the tests that i take end of senior year count towards qualification?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 05:10 pm: Edit

the tests you take at the end of senior year count towards the awards. But you don't receive the award including senior-year exams until you're already in college, so it doesn't help you on your apps.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page