GC screwed up on recommending which SAT II math test

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: GC screwed up on recommending which SAT II math test
By Toblin (Toblin) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 01:22 pm: Edit

A word to the wise.

My son is a math honors student who wants engineering in college. He was incorrectly told that he should take the I-C because it’s the more difficult test. NOT SO.

From http://www.ivywest.com/satiifaq.htm

“Should I take the Math IC or the Math IIC?

Many students are confused by the distinction between the Math IC and the Math IIC. In general, the Math IIC focuses on more advanced concepts and tests those concepts in greater depth than the Math IC. To adjust for the difficulty of the material, however, the Math IIC is scaled more leniently than the Math IC. In theory, a 600 on the Math IC represents the same level of achievement as a 600 on the Math IIC. Part of the decision about which test to take depends on what your math preparation in school has been. If you have received at least a B in a pre-calculus or algebra and trigonometry course, then you are probably qualified to take the Math IIC. If you are applying to a math or engineering program, you should definitely plan on taking the Math IIC. If math is not your specialty or you are not currently taking a math course, then you will probably feel more comfortable with the Math IC exam”

I’m told that engineering schools look for (some require) the II-C. Looks like he’ll have to retake, this time the II-C.

By Number9 (Number9) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Yeah, everyone knows this here.

You have posted 4 topics all regarding the same question. People already told you that the IIC should always be taken over the IC...

By Toblin (Toblin) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

The test was taken back in June before I found out the truth through CC. I'm just trying to pay back the favor by letting people know so they won't be similarly inconvenienced.

Sorry if I bothered you.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Thanks, Toblin. New people come to the site all the time, and it doesn't hurt to have GC warnings float around.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Your son will probably get a higher score on the IIC than he got on the IC. If he likes math, he may actually find the IIC to be a fun challenge.

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Doesn't only Harvey Mudd and Caltech require it?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page