AP Physics B: Hear my dilemma

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: AP Physics B: Hear my dilemma
By Best_Wr (Best_Wr) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 01:30 pm: Edit

I was planning to take AP Chem in junior year (already took regular chem, so i was all prepared for AP), but due to schedule conflict, i almost have to take AP Physics B (C isn't offered), which I know nothing about. I'm good at math (taking Calc) and got 5 on AP Bio (if it's relevant).. Is taking AP Physics B as a junior rare, and do colleges prefer AP Chem?
Which AP test is easier?

By Apchemreject (Apchemreject) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

Well my friends doodled all over AP Physics and got 3s, 4s, 5s in Chem.. Chem is easier... AP Physics isn't that rare as a junior... You should be good with Physics and Calc the same year though.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

I wouldnt personally recommend both Chem and Physics in the same year. They are both among the toughest AP classes and would require tons and tons of work and studying. Everyone gets a 4-5 in Bio so I dont think it correlates with Chem and Physics AP, which are known to be MUCH MUCH harder. I have a friend who got a 2 on Physics and 5 on Chem and Bio

And no, you dont have to take a previous physics course to take Physics B. I took it right after Chem AP.

By Best_Wr (Best_Wr) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

I'm taking only AP Physics B..
Chem and Physics are both on the same level?

By Yellowrose (Yellowrose) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

i took ap physics c and ap chem this past year at the same time, and knew many other people who took book ap physics b and ap chem at the same time. i myself got a 5 on both exams, and yes the workload is alot, but you have to know what you can handle. iknew i would have a good shot at managing since i decided not to take ap us history. so its up to u, but if ur good at math, i think u can do it

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

If you're not planning to major in math, physical science, or engineering, then AP Physics B will suit you fine.

If you're not planning to major in math, physical science, or engineering, then AP Physics B will suit you fine.

Edit: submit button got stuck.

By Rhsguy (Rhsguy) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Check this •••• out... 4 in AP Bio, 1 in AP Physics B. Bio was in sophomore year and I put out decent effort, Physics was in junior year and I didn't put out •••• but I guess I thought I'd be lucky. Friggin humiliating.

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Yup

By Davidn08 (Davidn08) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

Physics B is very math-based, and not that hard (people confuse it with physC, which is very hard). i think ap chem is harder than phys b.

if you're taking ap calc junior year, you're probably very good at math... you'll do fine.

if you're worried, read a physics book this summer before starting the course (AP if you can, SAT2 if its too hard... SAT2 physics is great to take coz the curve is great)

By Best_Wr (Best_Wr) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

what kinda physics book?
how come i don't see anyone here with a 5 on Physics B?

By Renegade4box (Renegade4box) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 02:48 am: Edit

Physics B test is a cake walk. I only learned kinematics and E&M, omitted lots of questions on the exam, and still got a 4.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 03:37 am: Edit

Chem was insane at first but a lot of studying REALLY made understanding the material much easier. I managed a 4. However, Physics was just insane. I studied hours and hours but I just couldnt learn it. I read the book twice and did all the problems, etc. Way too freaking hard. I crawled by with a 3. Sad thing: Im majoring in electrical engineering

By Manowar (Manowar) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 09:53 am: Edit

Physics B is a joke as is Chem. You can do both!

By Davidn08 (Davidn08) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:19 am: Edit

i got a 5 on B

By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:54 am: Edit

I'm taking "Honors Physics" next year, and as Calc is not a pre-requisite I expect that it's Physics B. (sad that I don't know, lol) Anyway, I'm taking Chem at the same time, and I hope to take the AP Test for Physics (I know I will for Chem)

By Kenenisa (Kenenisa) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:10 pm: Edit

My physics teacher says B is harder than C. B covers more material, and you don't have to advantage of using calc to answer questions. That's his logic, anyway.

By Skapoor1 (Skapoor1) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:35 pm: Edit

Take both classes. Chemistry is very easy, and physics will seem hard at first but become easy if you do all the homework (seeing the concepts in action will help you understand them better than you did in the classroom).

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

Physics C (calculus based) is considered by many, if you have had some calculus, to be easier than B). Physics B is considered one of the hardest AP tests (annually about 30% score 4 or 5 and 40% score 2 or 1; for physics C 50% score 4 or 5). Chemistry pass rate is close to that for Physics B and is also a difficult AP. At many high schools you cannot take AP physics until after taking a physics course because it is considered difficult (note to another comment above --"honors" physics does not equal AP Physics B).

Physics B also has other disadvantages. At most schools for engineering, it means little or nothing because it does not get you out of the first required Physics course (C can) and a number of colleges require a 4 or 5 on the test to get any credit at all.

By Babynomoretime (Babynomoretime) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:53 am: Edit

I'm taking AP Physics self-studied for my senior year. But I haven't decided yet. Should I take Physics B or C? I took Cal A last year, got a B, and taking Cal BC this year. Besides, I also have AP Bio and AP Chem. Is this too much if you'ra taking 3 AP Science class at the same time?

By Davidn08 (Davidn08) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

The only reason the C percentages look better is because the people that take it are geniuses.

B is much easier.

By Subtrunks (Subtrunks) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

I did both ap chem and ap physics b my junior year. Chem>>>>>Physics B on the hardness scale ... but physics B is very borad its recomended to have a year if prepraration first

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page