Low score on AP Calc- will this hurt me in college admission

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Low score on AP Calc- will this hurt me in college admission
By Silmon77 (Silmon77) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

I got a 2 on the BC test, and a 3 on the AB subscore. Will this hurt me when applying to the top schools, as I'm gunning for engineering? Is it better to not report on application at all? And also, would the AB subscore qualify me as an AP Scholar (I got a 5 in US History and 4 in Chemistry)?

By Paulhomework (Paulhomework) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 01:09 am: Edit

First of all, i'm no expert so my comment might be TOTALLY wrong.

Anyway, by top schools if you mean MIT/Caltech, then I think it will hurt you a lot. Not reporting the schore might also look bad, as I'm sure a lot of other students will reports scores, mostly 4s and 5s.

For other top-tier schools it will hurt you, but not as much. It all depends on how much that school emphasizes AP test grades in admission process.

BTW I'm not sure about the scholar stuff, but I think AB Calc counts for half a year (one semester).

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 01:11 am: Edit

Nah, I don't think AP scores can be counted against you in admission. Low ones probably won't affect anything; high ones can only help.

By Maryville (Maryville) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 02:42 am: Edit

AP scores has NO effect in admission. Why would a university penalize you for taking a test that is optional, especially when it's primarily used for advanced credit?

By Chrisq (Chrisq) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 03:00 am: Edit

Maryville: I'm afraid you're mistaken when you say that AP scores have "NO effect" on admissions. All of the top schools specifically ask for your AP scores if you have taken any AP exams. This information isn't on the application just for fun or for the sake of miscellany. When you approach a college application, it's best to operate under the assumption that ALL of the academic information you provide will in some way factor into the admission decision. Plus, AP scores are in many ways better predictors of college performance than SAT scores, because some of the AP courses do a fairly reasonable job of modelling real college level coursework (keyword: some). People often say that high AP scores will help you, but low ones "won't hurt you." This logic doesn't make any sense, because if other applicants have better AP scores than you, that counts as a "good thing" for them. A "good thing" or a "bonus" for other applicants is necessarily a bad thing for you, because you are only being compared to your fellow applicants.

By Silmon77 (Silmon77) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

So what do you recommend? Should I withold or report? I'm applying to Princeton ED btw.

By Mattman (Mattman) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

Most colleges don't even see your AP scores until after you send them in May of your senior year (and for their apps they only ask you to write down your scores, so you don't have to mention Calc).

By the way, I don't think that they count subscores for the AP Scholar awards, sorry.

By Davidn08 (Davidn08) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

how were you other scores? if they were 5s, and you cancel this score... colleges may assume you got a 4 and you didnt want it to ruin your average (or something)

By Justperfect (Justperfect) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 11:13 pm: Edit

well most ivy schools require you to get 5's to get credit becasue lots of people were going straight to soph year(smart and dumb), so 2's and 3's are not that good to reprot so just retake the courseand get an A in the course and go on with your life, good luck getting in...

By Silmon77 (Silmon77) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

anyone else have any advice or knowledge?

By Subtrunks (Subtrunks) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

Well actually high scores will help you low scores won't. The college has no way of telling if your teacher was a good teacher or if you prepared on your own and hence getting anythign above a 3 is an acheivement. Thats why there are SAT's which are based more so on logic than academic content.

By Silmon77 (Silmon77) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 03:25 am: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page