660 M 780 V- How Unusual is This?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: 660 M 780 V- How Unusual is This?
By Vadim (Vadim) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 10:04 pm: Edit

How un-common is it to have such a descrepancy in the math and verbal scores on the SAT? When I took the SAT for the first time, my scores were 610 M and 770 V (I am mathematically disabled :))

How (if at all) would this be different than a score of 1440, but with more similar subscores? Will colleges see a prospective student who is better than normal at verbal tasks or one who is worse than normal in mathematics?

By Redr002 (Redr002) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

I don't think it is that uncommon. My daughter got 1440 with 790 verbal, 650 math. The first time, was 720 v, 640 m. She studied like crazy for the math and only increased 10 pts, whereas barely studied verbal and increased 70 pts!

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 01:20 am: Edit

here's my november SAT
800 math/520 verbal: how lopsided is this????? 280 point split lol

by the way, 610 isn't worse than normal...actually it's quite above average, which is 500. 610 is around 80th percentile, no?

By Chicagojen (Chicagojen) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 01:26 am: Edit

I got a 760 V 570M, a 190 point difference (and I had to get a calculator to do that lol)

By Tallyrand (Tallyrand) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 12:35 pm: Edit

It's really not as common as high math, low verbal. I would go so far as to say, yes, it's uncommon, but not at all unheard of. I'm like that too. There's an 100 point difference between my math and verbal scores (800V 700M)

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit

780 V / 650 M here. I would rather have it this way because math is much easier to raise, and I have a shot or two more before final applications are due. In a way I want it more balanced, though, so that my scores would be in the middle 50% of every school instead of having a verbal in the top 25% and math in the bottom 25%, in the case that they're not raised.

By Vadim (Vadim) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

"by the way, 610 isn't worse than normal...actually it's quite above average, which is 500. 610 is around 80th percentile, no?"

The percentile was about 75, if I recall correctly. What I meant was that this score seems low for a 'typical' student with my verbal SAT/GPA, etc. That was basically my concern.

By the way, thank you to all who have responded to my question :)

By Mikey13 (Mikey13) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:51 pm: Edit

It's not that uncommon, one friend of mine had a perfect math and a 600 Verbal and another was the opposite, perfect Verbal, 560 M. Besides, if you put some effort into it, you can improve the math score easily over the summer. (I bought and seriously worked in the Barron's book nad my math went up 80 points.)

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 01:41 pm: Edit

Vadim,
your score split might well be a problem if you were applying to a techy school or engineering program. My son has a similar split - the math problems seem to be due to incorrectly reading (ironically enough) the problems and making careless errors. He will retake in the fall also. He had a similar problem as Redr02's daughter - first taking was 710V 670M, so he studied to bring the math portion up. Second taking was 790V 650M, so go figure.

If you choose not to retake, a strong showing in a math SAT II would help somewhat. Many people hate SAT math - my son refers to it as sneaky b*****d math.

By Vadim (Vadim) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

I am not a mathematical person, so any college I would choose would be of the liberal arts variety. My problem with math has existed nearly as long as I have gone to school. For some reason, my ability to reason diminishes significantly when I approach a mathematical problem. Perhaps it is a lack of confidence in the subject?

By Subtrunks (Subtrunks) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

There is a -30 point difference betwene my Math and Verbal. I'am a science major does this happen often.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

Vadim,
I think you're ok at a LAC that's not too science-y (Carleton) or ultra-competitive (AWS).

Subtrunks,
my son is a science major, too. SAT I math is evil.

By Waffle (Waffle) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

I'm going into sophomore year and just took a diagnostic test (though the real thing will be much different since they're changing it :( ) I got a 610m and 660v, and I'm actually pretty happy about that, since I did the problems that I know won't really be on it when I take it, quickly. I'm happy I did better on verbal and I'm surprised that my best type of question was critical reading (90% right), I thought I sucked at that.

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

My score was very similar to yours - 760 verbal and 680 math. I don't know what it is - I am good at higher level math, but simple geometry has given me trouble since the day I learned what a parallelogram was.

By Silver4 (Silver4) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

800 Verbal, 660 Math - 800 Writing, 670 Math IC... it happens.... I'm going to retake the SAT I and go for a 700 though..

By Silver4 (Silver4) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

800 Verbal, 660 Math - 800 Writing, 670 Math IC... it happens.... I'm going to retake the SAT I and go for a 700 though..

By Waffle (Waffle) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

This may be a stupid question, but let's say you are happy with your verbal score and unhappy with math. Can you just retake the math section again, or do colleges look for the highest score that you achieved on a section and count it.
e.g.
Test 1. 780v 650m
Test 2. 710v 800m

Would a college look at that as 780v 800m?

By Banana1216 (Banana1216) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Same here, guys, my bests are 770 Verbal, 660 Math. I got a private tutor for math and only went up 20 points between SAT administrations. SAT IIs: Spanish 760, Writing 760, Math IC 650. And it's IC, not even IIC, so it's supposed to be easy. For everyone except me. I don't get it because I did well in my pre-Calc class, but I just hate that darn SAT Math!! "Sneaky b******d math" is EXTREMELY accurate. I'm going into my senior year and really unwilling to suffer through the SATs again, so I'm just going to have to live with these scores. Do any of you think the low math will negatively affect my admittance to colleges?

By Banana1216 (Banana1216) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

I forgot to mention that I'm a Spanish/Education major, so I didn't really think it'd be a problem. any other opinions?

By C_J (C_J) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 12:11 pm: Edit

I'm also in this group. Only try so far: 800 V. 670 M.

Hopefully that math will raise a minimum of 30 come fall...

By Pinkearmufs (Pinkearmufs) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 12:28 pm: Edit

some people just have a natural inclination to one subject or the other

By Vadim (Vadim) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one whose SAT-based verbal abilities are greater than his math skills. It just seemed to me that the majority of people had very similar math and verbal scores. And, of course, there are many people on this site who have perfect or nearly perfect scores on both parts of the SAT...

By Co0 (Co0) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

I know a guy with 250 M 800 V.....He was someone returning to school after many years and completely forgot math; said he had no idea how to do a single math problem...The verbal was a piece a cake.

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

wait, how does somebody score high on verbal without being in school-there's so much vocab that can only be accomplished through good schooling; math on the other hand can be done by any low education person who is inclined to logic/spatial things

By Aeg315 (Aeg315) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

well, most people tend to stop doing math problems when they stop schooling... yes, most people need simple math (adding, subtracting, etc.) in daily life to figure out tips and such, but geometry and simple algebra is easily forgotten if you aren't in a school environment. and actually, you can score very high on the verbal without school - the idea that you can only learn vocab through good schooling is ridiculous... if anything, most adults i know read enough to have a good grasp of SAT vocab and reading abilities... at least moreso than ability to do high school math reasoning problems

By Green01 (Green01) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 12:52 am: Edit

i have a friend who was 800V/670 math and his girlfriend was 730V/570M...different people test different ways

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 02:18 am: Edit

maybe because i'm a math person, but i just can't see how people find verbal easier than math; i mean, the reading parts put me to sleep! how do people have more ability to read and comprehend and pay attention, then to solve problems?

maybe this explains why there are much more 800 maths, then 800 verbals

good job those who do have high verbal scores-it shows more accomplishment than 800 math, which I don't think shows much academic achievement at all; Everybody from my school who scores above 90th percentile in verbal all seem that they'll shine through college. 90th percentile and above math people in school-well most of them, besides the valedictorian (not me lol) don't seem like outstanding college material-quite a few druggies in this categories (again not me lol)

By Ontolome (Ontolome) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 08:46 am: Edit

i haven't yet taken the SAT, but my PSAT scores do indicate a large discrepancy between math and verbal...i'm a voracious reader, but my math score's been stagnating for a while. Ohio Mom did mention the careless error factor as a math handicap, which seems to be my problem. Others have a keen eye for detail. Funny though, my artwork is extremely meticulous and detailed, but when it comes to math, i can attribute three out of four errors to some evil trap the ETS has planted to dupe the detail-impaired.

By Vadim (Vadim) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 10:20 am: Edit

" wait, how does somebody score high on verbal without being in school-there's so much vocab that can only be accomplished through good schooling; math on the other hand can be done by any low education person who is inclined to logic/spatial things"

This year, my English teacher was absent for about five months due to medical problems. There was no actual "learning" in that class. I have never studied vocabulary for the SAT. I read classical literature, and "SAT words" appear very frequently.

As several others here have also written, I make many careless mistakes when solving math problems. I can be very meticulous in other areas, but when I try to think mathematically, I feel as if my IQ has fallen by a standard deviation or two :)

Benzinspeicher- Many of the "math" people whom I know seem to be less well-rounded than the more verbally-oriented individuals. They are very intelligent, but they show little or no interest in anything that isn't directly related to mathematics. I don't claim that all mathematical people have this characteristic, but that is what I have noticed.

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 02:19 am: Edit

I totally agree with Vadim

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page